MPI & ecu's is there much a difference in hp?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Sirius, the difference in turbos in terms of response between the hybrid i have and the tc06 i had is small, as the both have the same turbine housing and wheel.

Mbr1, the pipework is about 2 1/2, the turbo is off a canter truck, the difference between the tc06 i had and the td06 is huge.

Here are some pics of the turbo:

http://home.ripway.com/2004-4/95843/turbo.JPG
http://home.ripway.com/2004-4/95843/mypic2.jpg
Last edited by RiceThief on Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Nxtime, i did mention i was using a wolf 2d, changes since last time is an engine rebuild and balance and the use of more boost 15 psi now compared to 12.

Flappa it was 3rd, re the issue of speed in 3rd, this is taken from my starion manual:

flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

The thing is you've (roughly) just increased the torque figure by whatever the gear ratio is, around 1.36:1 if my memory is still good. Compared to running it in 4th gear, which is your 1:1 through the box, then there is no gearing advantage. Your end power figure has been skewed by the extra torque produced through the gearing advantage of 3rd gear.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

flappa,
yes you are half right. The torque figure is out but the power is reasonably correct because the rollers are tuning slower. That is high torque 3rd gear but lower roller speed, 4th gear lower torque but faster roller speed so power pretty much the same. If you try it in 3rd or 4th should be only small difference (yes I know friction etc).
The story is compare dyno sheets but make sure you are using the same gear!
RichThief I don't know how well you know the dyno guy but next time do numbers in 3rd and 4th so flappa can check it out.

Does the TD06 compressor housing fit straight on the TC06 centre bearing housing (where the big circlip is)?
What does the TD06 exhaust housing look like is it huge as well? Tried the pics but no good download limit reached.
Do you know what years and models for the Canter truck TD06?
DJ_NoVa
Dorifto!

Post by DJ_NoVa »

rice thief,

back to my question and your post about making 211hp
i have all those mods except the cooler

meaning when the mpi and microtec goes on
i'll have all same as your prety much excluding my small tc06 hybrid compared to yours,
yet i have a killer engine made like you except bottom end
so hopefully that will put it to the 200hp mark,
once acheived this car is a challenge to other rice and spoon fed drivers out there?

and overall to all that have finished the convo how does the starion run,
from what i have heard more bottom end and all round it's a different car...
this true? i mean will i be fucking happy i did it, and thinking why didn't i do this ages ago?
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it".
- Albert Einstein
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

mrb1 it's okay, I don't need to see it. I just noticed the speed was low, tis all.

Like I said before, it still makes a difference. You're increasing wheel torque and providing your tyres can handle it on a rolling road dyno and the dyno itself doesn't compensate for gear selection, then you get a curve that is skewed, or perhaps a better word would be accentuated.
Last edited by flappa on Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJ_NoVa
Dorifto!

Post by DJ_NoVa »

????????????
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it".
- Albert Einstein
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

200hp no worries
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

DJ_nova how much power you make will depend on how much boost you can run without pinging, but up to 12psi u should make around 150, which is enough to give it to the rice and spoon fed drivers. There's alot more driveability with mpi, but it all depends on your tuner.

mrb1 sorry i dont know which model and year of canter, the compressor housing does fit on the tc06 bearing housing, my exhaust housing is just a tc06 and not a td.

flappa i see what you are saying, dyno's from shop to shop vary as a whole though and the gear its been dynoed in is the same at last time i got it dyno so its a good comparison to that.