Oil pressure problems

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Oil pressure problems

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Hey guy

My oil pressure gauge is showing low pressure. Any ideas? I don't want to stuff my engine.

It reads low, last night the needle was on the very bottom, and when idling, it raised a little :wtf:

Any help would be great. Oil is ok, slight leaks, but it is still full.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

i'm guessing the wire to the base of the sender is plugged in? If you haven't checked, look under were your oil filter goes.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

yes it is plugged in. If by sender you mean the gauge? I am going to have a big look now.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

The sender is in the engine bay they are pretty common to stuff up. soon as i turn my ignition on (car not started) my oil pressure gauge goes all way to the top. I just ignore it these days heh
1983 JA Staz
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

If your engine is leaking it sounds like it's getting old and worn, when was it last rebuilt? When the main and conrod bearings get worn and develop excess clearance the oil can pass through the gaps alot quicker so theres less resistance against the pump thus the low pressure.
I have the same problem with one of my starions, tried putting in some 20w50 in to slow down the flow but it made f all difference.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

engine has never been rebuilt. It is stock and done 114,000km's.

Engine is actually fine, I changed the oil and filter, (it was due a few weeks ago). Didn't actually fix it. Also fixed the slight oil leak on the oil return. Degreased the engine bay, still not fixed. Drove it home, and just before getting to my driveway, it started working again. :wtf: Atleast it is all good now.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i'd say your sender is stuffed woody. thats the can on the engine with the wire hanging out that sends the signal to the guage. my JB does exactly the same thing but the actuall pressure is sweet as...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

The sender could be stuffed - but you should try cleaning the connector contacts on the oil sender and the wire, then check the wire for continuity. The sender is at the bottom front driver's side of the engine, attached to the timing case not far from the oil filter - it's the only wire in this area, easily accessible from underneath the car.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Woody I had same problem & was quoted $120 for a new sender (can vaguely recall that it was /might be same as a Pajero ) but I decided to install a mechanical gauge instead as its far more accurate
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

JPC wrote:The sender could be stuffed - but you should try cleaning the connector contacts on the oil sender and the wire, then check the wire for continuity. The sender is at the bottom front driver's side of the engine, attached to the timing case not far from the oil filter - it's the only wire in this area, easily accessible from underneath the car.
he has a 2.6 remember :beer
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Yeah thanks, I took it for a big drive last night and it was sweet. I do have a mechanical gauge that I am putting on, but need to get a T piece made to tap into my new braided oil line going to the turbo. I think thats the best place to put it.

Thanks for everyone's help, I assumed it was the sender too, but was safer making sure the engine was fine too. I wasn't going to risk it.
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

redzone wrote:he has a 2.6 remember :beer
:oops:
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Just so you know, sensor is in same spot for 2.6 and 2.0 engines
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

ah ok well kewl i havnt looked for it on mine yet so :oops:

JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

In that case I retract my :oops:
:wink: