Cheaper Substiture Than LSD?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

finding an lsd.. hard and $$'s ( correct me if i'm wrong )
cig locker or spool cheap but BAD!!

half way would be if you can get a detroit locker .. open with no throttle but jump on the loud pedal and its a locker... and when i priced one for my r31 it was halfway in price.

no rebuilding an lsd, no "setting up" like a kazz, easy fit like a spool.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

James, you're in Melbourne.

Get in touch with Bill Freame (Freame Diffs or something like that) in Eastgate Court Wantirna. I enquired prior to finding a LSD.

Freame's would probably need servicing every year or so, depending on how much/hard you use it and what you use it for.

I knew I'd be wouldn't be that gentle on it, so my thoughts were to chase a slippery.

There is another option, Torsen make a whole bunch of diff centres, from little front drive Pugs to Boxters and everything in between. Might be worth checking out some more, in some situations they are better than an LSD. I'm not shitting you, tis true!
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Should have mentioned, the Freame diff center was only going to cost a few hundred buckeroos, so yes it's cheaper than an LSD.
Your single spinner gets modified if I remember correctly.

The Torsen diffs are quite expensive, depends on what you get.
I think they start around the same price as a factory LSD but you can pay up to a few grand for them. I might be wrong, but seemingly the bigger you go, the more they cost.

I've had my LSD for quite some time now and it's made the car 500% more fun! :D
How?
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Thanks for the tips enthuzed, which one do you have, Factory LSD, a Freame diff center or a Torsen diff?

Cheers
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Factory LSD, had to be rebuilt after about 9 months. Was getting backlash until it broke teeth off the pinion.

Had the breakaway point adjusted to suit it's use, that being dirt/bitumen so I can use if for virtually anything.

Happy Days!!!
How?
VR4JA
[L] Plates

Post by VR4JA »

i jammed 56 welding electrodes into my mates vl borgwarner that evening we went hooping only to throw a conrod through the side of the rb30 block
since then now it has a v8 it has gone through 22 sets of tires and he looses it all the time puttin the foot down
not the best for drivability but if u want feirce hoops its the only way to go
cornering is either sideways or sideways the diff is still pushing on strong and hasnt snapped an axel YET!
eh?
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

With the Freame diff, does that always lock it, like having it welded, or does it make it like a proper LSD?
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

VR4JA wrote:i jammed 56 welding electrodes into my mates vl borgwarner that evening we went hooping only to throw a conrod through the side of the rb30 block
since then now it has a v8 it has gone through 22 sets of tires and he looses it all the time puttin the foot down
not the best for drivability but if u want feirce hoops its the only way to go
cornering is either sideways or sideways the diff is still pushing on strong and hasnt snapped an axel YET!
haha sounds like 22 pairs of fun
madeofmilo
Enthusiast

Post by madeofmilo »

benny wrote:
no rebuilding an lsd, no "setting up" like a kazz, easy fit like a spool.
hey mate I have a kazz in the commodore. Freaking awesome, would HIGHLY recommend them, you can set it to lock at any power from a small pinch to full trumpet. Not only that for a car with no TCS like my 5.7 it gives you highly predicatable traction and car response. And you can change it as you chose to suit your driving style.

Go the KAZZ!
My JA has perfect motor - FMIC - forgies - high flow head but...rusted front guards and keyed on every panel. Time to get serious or time to take it to the tip.
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Yeh, but how much are Kazz'z?
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

oped wrote:With the Freame diff, does that always lock it, like having it welded, or does it make it like a proper LSD?
You'll get driveability like an LSD, not a locker.
Probably not quite as strong as an LSD, and the "servicing" is essentially "retensioning" the diff. It's usually better for the smaller (meaning less powerful) cars...

Hey madeof, tell us more about the Kazz. Is it a factory thing, and by the sounds I take it you're talking about it being in a late model Gen3 commo.
How?
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

I'm yet to find any info about KAAZ difs being available for starions!
I would be very happy to stand corrected on this...... :beer

Silas
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

if you do it do it properly, need decent front camber so the diff pushes the tyre to the road (race cars use the setup... all v8 supercars have locked diffs)

issue with IRS is the CV's... have spares, they will break alot more then a solid axel car. turning is a huge strain on them.

wouldnt advise it on a daily driven car.... its an absolute shitload of fun to have tho... you know it will kick out and gives heaps better control on the track for drift days.
1983 JA Staz
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Digging up an old thread...just found out yesterday that Bill Freame (spoke to the man himself) no longer runs his diff place. Bits Of Italy in Dandenong might but you'd have to check.
Whilst they are a full machine shop, but they are more focused on ECUs (Adaptronic agent) and dyno tuning, etc. They also spend time doing mods for Jap stuff, so could be handy for other things.
How?
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

If any of you guys are keen, I have a "large" LSD centre here - I'm a bit of an LSD hoarder - I have 3 of them!

It's not the large US type diff that takes the 6 bolt axles, it's just the Aussie "large" diff centre found in JD's.

It has been serviced and checked by a diff shop and is all set to be installed in your open diff housing.

I had it here as a spare in case I broke one, but as much as I've tried, I can't break these things.

It cost me $750 to buy it and get it serviced, but I'd take $650

PM if interested.