BUYING A USED STARION...? What to aproach and what to avoid

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
HWYSTR
I like starions

BUYING A USED STARION...? What to aproach and what to avoid

Post by HWYSTR »

Hi there, Im looking at replacing my long dead gsr2 :rip:

but am really unsure what I should be looking out for..

I figured this could be a help also for anyone else considering looking at purchasing a starion.

Is everyone able to add information about what particularly to look out for or how to test for faults (as in diff problems, gearbox, how much turbo play is bad play.. rust..?)

I am currently looking at on but I have 2 questions for the automotive geniuss that roam austarion

1) doesnt have lsd as wheels turn diffrent ways when jacked up but if 1 is locked other locks up as well.. does this mean locked or standard diff ??

2) It has a blue top engine... anyone have any ideas what type pf engine this may be (current owner doesnt know, previous owner claims engine was rebuilt 5,000 or so kms ago.)

Would be awesome If i could get some information before the 29th of june as I plan to check out the car in auckland on my way to see Guns and Roses - yes, oh yes, be jealous :twisted:

Could someone please chuck up some info about how to make sure the intercooler, bov and piping is all sweet, no leaks (oil or air) thanks

thanks guys and gals
Faust
BLOFLY
I like starions

Post by BLOFLY »

Rust- **Check the bottom of the front guards**,and the hatch lid rubber area, spare tyre well, and the bottom corners of the doors for a start.

As for the rocker cover, it's just been painted blue engine is a 4G63, It likely has a standard diff and if the turbo boosts and doesn't create bags of smoke from the rear then it should be ok. Check for backlash in the drivetrain caused by worn diff spline/cv's. Check handbrake works on both wheels. This is a start, be careful as certain parts can be very hard to obtain at resonable prices these days if they are worn out. :beer
SOHC, Multipoint, Steampipe Exhaust Manifold, Intercooled.
HWYSTR
I like starions

Post by HWYSTR »

thanks heaps, yeah thats true about the parts. I was almost unable to get a wof because a part of its steering rack died and I was told they dont make that part anymore.. lucky I had a primerd gsr2 siting in my driveway also.

turbo is a td06- running 12 psi

how do i check for backlash ? ( is that the "jolting" you get when ur diff is shitted ? )
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

Hey, Also check for rust in front of windscreen (under the black plastic)
If you worried about air leaks spray engine start or carb cleaner around joins, idle will speed up if it leaks. Turbo is tc06. Top radiator hose is toast :wink:
Looks like its been worked on by professionals :x so would want to get it pretty cheap
GNR won't be the same without the band but going anyway, good excuse for a day off wednesday.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

They said the engine was rebuilt.- Ask for proof in either receipts or if a workshop did it ring them and ask them about it. Anyone can say a car has a rebuilt motor. If the seller starts getting annoyed about you questioning the rebuild this COULD be a bad sign. If in doubt do a compression test. This is simple to do and should only take you 15mins tops.

Oil leaks in engine/gearbox/diff, Most Starions seem to leak around the front of the sump under the front engine seal if they are going to leak anywhere.

Rust in the spots mentioned in posts above. Along bottom of sills/doors, along the bottom of the windscreen. the front airdam panel usually rusts.

Freeplay in the steering. Try get under the car and try move and twist steering components by hand.

Turbo can be checked by removing the intake pipe leading to the turbo and gently trying to move the turbo up and down, side to side and back and foward. A tiny bit is acceptable, too much means rebuild in near future.

Electrics in the Starions can be a pain in the ass so make sure they are all good. Test out everything electric in the car,Fan/Heater, wipers, windows, electric mirrors(if fitted), All lights (interior, dash, parkers, headlights, highbeam, tail lights, indicators) any problems may be a simple fuse or blown bulb so check out any non-working ones to see if wiring is the problem.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

In the posted pic, there looks to be quite a bit of rust on the firewall under the clutch master cylinder & brake booster. One or both have been leaking - better check them out. Check to make sure the brake booster isn't disintegrating underneath as well.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
nzgsr
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by nzgsr »

rust under middle if screen can cause windscreen to crack also rust in bottom corners can cause leaks making the floor rust and bottoms of a pillars go to but the truth is almost all starions in nz have rust in the bottom of the gaurds and windscreen unless you a prepared to pay for a mint one or find one where these have already been fixed chances are it will be rusty under the window
HWYSTR
I like starions

Post by HWYSTR »

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 96.htm?p=2

reckon its worth 2300 ??

noone else better buy it if it is ! :glare: :P

good day all. im off to see the gunners, in the smelly old town of auckland
bigd
Enthusiast

Post by bigd »

I'd give it a lash if you have a little bit of cash to spend on it. I'm sure it'll have some rust somewhere but that'd be expected. If it has the windscreen rust (and you don't have the means to do it yourself) you'd be looking at about $400 cut, welded, primered etc + cost of windscreen replacement (which he is going to chuck in), I think getting a windscreen fitted is under a hundy. Just check all the structural bits aren't rusty like people have said. I'd roll up with cash in your pocket if you can and offer him 2g right on the spot, then negotiate from there if he isn't keen.
Good luck.
HWYSTR
I like starions

Post by HWYSTR »

checked it out the other day,

has rust on the bottom of both door trims, would need to be sanded back as is about half way eating through.

is real fast - tdo6 and such

I think it has the rust under the front of the windscreen. couldnt quite see.

also while driving it felt like it was on bumpstops or too lowered.. yet doesnt look lowered so maybe fuked shocks ?

the engine itself didnt look like a 4663... was shorter and taller. and had extremly noisy tappets or similar

heat sheielding was pretty baked as well.. burnt black in places.

was told BOV was in the wrong position as it was preventing all the boost being released

a/c removed to fit larger injection

my overall impression is give it a miss

--- they couldnt give me a straight answer on what else was wrong
they couldnt fix the noisy tappet problem ( father and son who are rebuilding engines and have done for years...)
car owned by a 17year old

I owned one when I was 18 so I know how thrashed it will be.

i also mentioned I would get it AA pre purchased inspectioned if i was to buy it and everyone when quiet.. !!

ah well i might just go buy a cosworth
bigd
Enthusiast

Post by bigd »

HWYSTR wrote:
is real fast - tdo6 and such

ah well i might just go buy a cosworth
Sounds a bit dodge. Are you sure it was a TD06 - was advertised as a TC06 last time i saw? Also you could buy five of those for the price of a cossie in good condition!!!
HWYSTR
I like starions

Post by HWYSTR »

turbo was huge and was stamped with td06.

yeah I know but a cossie would kick a starions arse, and they are newer, and an old man type car so from the right seller it would be mint.

but yeah they are pretty expensive.

for that price id rather just get a mustang..but i dont want to pay $5 in gas just to start my car hehehe

well see, oh yes, well see