Cheaper Substiture Than LSD?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
oped
I like starions more

Cheaper Substiture Than LSD?

Post by oped »

Hi guys, Im wondering if there is a cheaper substitute for 2 wheel spinners rather than having an LSD diff.

Because I know with cars which dont have IRS (independent rear suspension) you can buy a spool or have the diff welded together but because Starions have IRS it makes it more dificult.

Does anyone have a different solution, or is there a different diff which fits on a Starion which is LSD and cheaper to come by?

Thanks guys

James
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Being independent doesn't make any difference. Your options are pay 700~1000 for an LSD, or weld the diff gears up. But be warned, locked diffs are illegal and also a major handful in the wet if you haven't driven on one before. Also, turning sharp corners i.e. 3 point turn, parking puts excessive amounts of stress on driveshafts/CV's and they will eventually break
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

So they can still be welded together?
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

The diff in a Starion can be welded. But its Illegal, can be a bitch to drive(especially parking, driving in city centres) and will wear out parts quicker or break them.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
jeff
I've been here before

Post by jeff »

i wonder if it is possible to use that incredibly high viscosity synthetic fluid in a starion diff? i've used it in 1/10 scale gas power r/c/ diffs and i have heard it is used in off road race trucks.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

To do what? It may turn an LSD into almost a locker, but will do nothing for an open diff. Or just make the whole lot harder to turn.
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

When you guys say that it lowers the life of the CV's and driveshafts. Do you mean after 5years of having it and using it hard they may break, or are you talking about 6months down everything will break.
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

They could break 5 minutes after you weld the diff. All depends on their current condition, how hard you drive it and the surfaces its driven on.

It may last years driven on gravel/dirt in a rally application but only last a few weeks driven on a hard road.

SOHC POWER
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Im not saying im going to do it, but im wondering are CV's and Driveshafts expensive?

So you reckon that the CV's and Driveshafts will only last a few weeks?
I used to have a VN commodore, and my mate who works in a diff company was going to weld the gears together and he said that they wouldnt break for years if they were to break at all. Isnt that the case?
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

VN's have live axle, Meaning no CV's , They arnt IRS. No one will be able to tell you for sure how long they will last.

SOHC POWER
TWIMCAM BOY
I like starions more

Post by TWIMCAM BOY »

hey guys,
i have been in a few cars with lockers solid rear that arnt to bad to drive even in the wet.but my starion (irs of cause) is by far the worst its horrible to drive it bucks really bad at low speed obvisously the slower the worst. Its comin out of the car it s that bad i would be surpised if the axles lasted a year in one, but on the other hand i know another guy with a starion with a locker and he reckons it s fine. my advise dont do it but its your call!
GO HARD OR GO HOME
BrendanUK
[P] Plater austaz

Post by BrendanUK »

I see it like this, spend out the money on an a LSD and it's a fit and forget part more or less taking in to consideration oil changes. OR weld up the original and be replacing parts every year or so (no one buys a turbo car and NEVER gives a boot full every now and again) I think the cost of constant replacement, the time it'll take you to constantly be doing it or worse paying someone else to do it you'll wish you'd just done it properly to begin with.
Glen GSR III
guess its me thats broke

Post by Glen GSR III »

my pops gt capri had a welded diff when he bought it...get some funny looks cause of the tyres screechin round every corner. :)
82 GSR III starion (respray nearly complete!)
83 JA Starion...Daily Driver
01 KTM 520 trail bike (reason the staz isnt finished yet)
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

I had a locker in my xu1 and i couldn't turn around at the end of my street unless i did a bit of circle work :twisted: it just pushed the front wheels and would understeer.I pulled it out after breaking 4 sets of axles and would never drive with one again.
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Ok i suppose i wont be welding the diff then