Oil from the turbo

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.

Oil from the turbo

Post by Guest »

I am pretty sure this means I have a blown turbo seal, but I just thought I'd ask, cause its a turbo I just bought and I am not happy.:cry:

There is oil coming out between the dump pipe and the exhuast. Bad bad bad, and everytime I start up the car too much oil drips out from around the bottom of the turbo I think, but I can't work out exctly where its coming form. Thanks for your help
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Is there much play in the turbo shaft?
stari1
[P] Plates

Post by stari1 »

A little, but not overly much I didn't think. Could it be anything else I can check?
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Is the turbo oil return line on properly? Underneath the turbo.
Doesn't make sense oil between the dump pipe and exhaust.
Did you buy second hand/reco/shop?
Take it back if you can and get them to look at it.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Re: Oil from the turbo

Post by decoy »

while you are taking the hose to the airbox off to check for shaft play, check for oil as well. also check your crossover pip (turbo outlet to injection) for oil as well. that is where i found oil when my turbo seals were blown.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Did you use a new oil-return line gasket?
stari1
[P] Plates

Post by stari1 »

second hand from perth, I'm in adelaide. No chance of taking it back. I was going to check the oil return line, because thats sort of where it looks like most of the oil is coming from. But then the oil in dump pipe/ exhaust conused me. It would need a fair bit of pressure to squeeze through you would think?

Just very confused, first time i've taken off a turbo and put one on, so not sure if i've screwed something very very simple up.....
stari1
[P] Plates

Post by stari1 »

yes to oil return line gasket....
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

How much oil are we talking? Does the car blow smoke when it's running? Idling? On boost?
stari1
[P] Plates

Post by stari1 »

too much oil to drive. It does blow smoke when idling and always, but it smells like too rich petrol smoke, not reallty oil smoke. It always burnt a little oil, but it loses a lot in very short periods of time. Like down the drive way almost a line, not drips when backing up.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

sounds more like a loose oil line when u say that. i can't imagine a blown turbo seal leaking that much oil out of the intake system somehow :? have you asked the person u bought it from?
stari1
[P] Plates

Post by stari1 »

I'll ask the dude. I've got this strange feeling it may be both, which would be bad. I just can't explain oil in the dump pipe through loose oil line????

Thanks for all your help. I'll try a few things and get back to you...
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Oil in the dump pipe could be bad turbo seals or bad rings. If your spark plugs look ok and are not black and oil fouled then your turbo seals are probably shot.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

I dont think theres anyway that much oil could leak out from between your downpipe and turbo in that short a time... Definatly check the oil return, it is connected to the sump... right?
sigmaproject

oil use

Post by sigmaproject »

To check the turbo go with the guy that suggested checking the crossover pipe for oil. When you remove the pipe (simple job) if you find oil in the pipe and pooled just inside the compressor, a rebuild is in order . You could have external leaks as well. Used turbo's are usually a nightmare if you dont overhaul them before installation. :wink: