Starion 4G63T teething problems.... HELP!! Oil issues...

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

Starion 4G63T teething problems.... HELP!! Oil issues...

Post by Grifstar »

Well, I have finally finished my transplant of Starion 4G63T into a L200(thanx to all those who have given me advice and tips, finally got that pesky injection problem sussed...)

My current problem (in the never ending list of problems haha) is...
1. It has really high oil pressure, ie when cruising at 100k its up around 80-90psi... does anybody know about what starions usually run at??

2. It seems to have oil leaks from as*h*l* to breakfast, i am wondering if this is causing the high oil pressure or vice versa???

3. It is blowing a fair amount of smoke, but I did the brand new head gasket etc when engine was out... Not sure what it could be, thinking maybe valve stem seals, or rings (either way all bad...)

Once again any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!
Thanx all
Cadi
:x
Big Blue Mean Green
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Hi

1, oil pressure is around about half - 3/4 cruising on starion gauge, don't know psi.

2, many places starion engines can leak from if they have been dissasembled, you just have to clean up the oil mess, go for a short drive, then get under car and trace the trail back to source, remember oil will travel from front to back when moving.

3, smoke from exhaust pipe can be from stem seals, rings or turbo, post up the color or the smoke and someone may steer you in the most likley direction, smoke from engine bay is typically an oil leak on engine, see above.
Last edited by Starion_Turbo on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

Post by Grifstar »

unfortunately, the smoke is blue... and coming from the exhaust... i wish it was as simple as oil spilled on the manifold :cry:
Big Blue Mean Green
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I have a similar problem... Smokey exhaust ... just trying to work out what is causing it.

1. Worn valve stem seals/guides
2. Worn piston rings
3. Turbo seal worn
4. Turbo over presurised with oil and forcing it around the seal
5. Rich in fuel map
6. Other?
1985 JB Starion #157
BLOFLY
I like starions

Post by BLOFLY »

If the transplant motor was sitting for ages the oil pressure relief valve might be jammed. Had this happen on an old staz motor, put in it fired it up and it blew the oil filter gasket apart. This is fairly easy to fix
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

Post by Grifstar »

Thanx blofly!! Can you elaborate on that for me?? I just changed the oil filter too...
Big Blue Mean Green
BLOFLY
I like starions

Post by BLOFLY »

On the oil filter housing just in front of the filter is a 27mm brass bung, undo this and hit it with some wd40. Press the plunger down a few times to free it up. If the plunger jams the oil pressure will usually go really high, which may explain the oil going past your turbo oil seals, or your turbo is foobar. Hope this helps
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

Post by Grifstar »

Thanx heaps!! will have a look at that either today or wednesday and let you know!! anything else i should check while im at it??
Big Blue Mean Green
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

Post by Grifstar »

I was just reading that the main cause of the type of smoke im getting is valve stem seals, but if that is the problem, one or more of the plugs will be oiled up... however i checked my plugs and they are all fine!! Can anybody confirm that information??
Im at a loss now ay... ive come so far by myself, i dont want to take it to a mechanic:(
Big Blue Mean Green
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Sounds like to much oil supply the the turbo, especially because U also have very high oil pressure, do U have the original oil line to the turbo? The original fixed office fitting going into the turbo? Yr oil pressure should be no more that 20-30PSI at idle, & 50-65PSI at maximum RPM. U may need to check how much oil is going to the turbo. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

Post by Grifstar »

Im pretty sure its the original line... what can i check to find out if there is too much oil going to the turbo??

Also can anyone tell me anythingabout the PCV valve?? ie what it does, location, etc... aparently if you overfill your oil, it can clog this up, build up crankcase pressure and produce blowby... (I overfilled my oil recently lol)

Heres what it actually seems to be doing... It doesnt smoke when idling, the puff of smoke seems to come when i decelerate, and then start accelerating again.. its quite random really.. although once the engine is hot, it smells really bad... especially when you have just pulled up to a stop and opened the car door!!

im totally lost on this one! I wanna start pulling things apart and checking them but dont even know where to start!

What i need is a troubleshooting list!!
Big Blue Mean Green
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

Post by Grifstar »

or is this pcv valve thing only on NA's????
Big Blue Mean Green
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

The PCV Valve is located on the tappet cover near the oil filler cap & on the inlet manifold side, looks like a long nut with a hose coming off it tothe inlet manifold, just remove the hose at the PCV & put a bolt in it to stop the leak of extra air in2 the manifold, then take it for a drive & see how it goes, if it stops then this is where yr problem is. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

Post by Grifstar »

mint thanx heaps!! Ill try that tomorrow!!

Hey look what i found!!
http://outlander.kiev.ua/manual/Outland ... 100-17.pdf
Big Blue Mean Green
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

Post by Grifstar »

Well, i checked the breather, the pcv valve, and the oil pressure relief valve, and they are all fine... i guess thats the head coming off now :cry:
Big Blue Mean Green