evolution 4/Anti-Lag?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

evolution 4/Anti-Lag?

Post by iXNAY »

hey guys,

took my mates evo 4 for a drive today was a great car and got a really nice power curve and gets off the clock pretty quick.

when i was looking at the engine, i seen a pipe going from before the turbo to before the throttle body, after a bit of thinking and looking i made it out to be a one way valve so that it reduced turbo lag..

cause before boost the engine would suck in air through this pipe cause the valve would be sucked open by the vacuum in the engine, then once boost started the compressed air would force the one way valve closed and then all the boost would be forced into the engine.

would i be correct in thinking this and would it make much difference if it was to reduce turbo lag?

was wondering about it and thinking of setting something the same up!

regards
Ryan
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

Not sure for an evo 4 but sounds like egr valve for polution.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

EVO 4 come setup with anti-lag from the factory, but it works differently to how you described it. It's explained on autospeed:
"Interestingly, a secondary air injection system (aka anti-lag system) was also introduced. We believe that production versions of the Evo 4 have all the necessary air injection hardware in place – but the electronic control system to make it work was reserved for competition rally cars..."
It eliminates turbo lag by burning fuel in the turbo, giving you full boost at idle and the popping sound that rally cars make.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

This is the pipe im talking about!

www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Its a b.o.v. dude just a plumb back type.
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

yep, ill second that :beer
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

holey shit ive been looking at it the wrong way......

well dont i feel stupid!

hahaha sorry to waste everyones time!
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

AB wrote:EVO 4 come setup with anti-lag from the factory, but it works differently to how you described it. It's explained on autospeed:
"Interestingly, a secondary air injection system (aka anti-lag system) was also introduced. We believe that production versions of the Evo 4 have all the necessary air injection hardware in place – but the electronic control system to make it work was reserved for competition rally cars..."
It eliminates turbo lag by burning fuel in the turbo, giving you full boost at idle and the popping sound that rally cars make.
Sounds interesting, can anyone on here vouch for that?
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

I think it's that silver pipe that runs along the front of the head and down towards the turbo, perhaps iXNAY could have a look and see where it goes?