twin cam motors

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
compressor
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by compressor »

groupAralliart wrote:so what is a good price for a twin cam motor or head and intake manifold?
iv got hyundai full head intack not pulled apart yet $300 dont need it anymore
rallidave
Enthusiast king

Post by rallidave »

$300 ????? is that the same as a vr4 n/a head??
85 JB 4g63 SOHC
94 EVO2 4g63 DOHC
i wanna go fast
nzgsr

Post by nzgsr »

here in nz about 70bucks at pickapart for a na dohc galant head same for a vr4 one if you are quick enough
ROCKETMAN
Big Dorifto

Post by ROCKETMAN »

rallidave wrote:$300 ????? is that the same as a vr4 n/a head??
My hyundai head is identical to an evo3 , so vr4 are big port and hyundai small port.

It's cheaper just to walk into a wreckers yard as they arent aware of how good those heads actually are :twisted:
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Exactly right, ROCKETMAN ;)
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
rallidave
Enthusiast king

Post by rallidave »

so then what would you guys consider a good price to pick up a vr4 head????? :?
in oz that is :wink:
85 JB 4g63 SOHC
94 EVO2 4g63 DOHC
i wanna go fast
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

I have come across another wrecker who has a few twin cam 4g63 motors and would sell me a non-warranty motor for $350. He is a bit of a Mitsubishi freak and when I asked him about head differences between turbo and non-turbo he believed the piston was dished or flat, that the heads are the same. Another wrecker said there would be a bee's dick difference in port size. I don't want to miss out on this good price but don't want to buy some thing which really isn't what I need. Advice please!
rallidave
Enthusiast king

Post by rallidave »

so i guess we are asking, is it worth checking out any other head setups or is the VR4 the best way to go, just hard to find cheap ?? :?
85 JB 4g63 SOHC
94 EVO2 4g63 DOHC
i wanna go fast
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

Exactly. I have shopped around and any 'turbo' version 4g63 I found was at least $1800, no rebuilders, all good motors which make it an expensive option when you only need the intake, head and pulley system.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

remove the intake manifold on any engine ur buying and have a look at the ports. the rectangle "big" ports are HUGE. the smaller oval ports are biggish. a big port head nearly swallows your hand..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

Great I will check that out if I am allowed to pull the manifold off. I hate these dickheads (the wrecker who spoke about port size) as though he is an authority and you find out it is pure bullshit. Anything to sell a motor I guess. Don't give advise if you are a complete tosser will be my advise to the wrecker when I call him back today. Thanks Redzone
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

groupAralliart wrote:Exactly. I have shopped around and any 'turbo' version 4g63 I found was at least $1800, no rebuilders, all good motors which make it an expensive option when you only need the intake, head and pulley system.
The 4G63 N/A big port motors are exactly the same as turbo big port the only difference is cams, pistons & pins and no oil squirters in the block.
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

I know this is probly a silly question :-

why is it that most ( if not all ) twin cam convertions to staz use the staz bottom end and convert all the timing gear + head to fit

wouldn't it be easier to change the gear box to suit the small bolt pattern

just a thought
cheater
nzgsr

Post by nzgsr »

i thought that you had to update all the emissions gear if you put in a later model block in your car in aussie like the cat etc?
isnowi
[P] Plates

Post by isnowi »

I have never seen a small port 6 bolt head, i have been through 6 NT heads and not one of them had small oval ports, all had the large rectangular ports as found on VR4, ( and i beleive up 'till evo 3) Is it possibly the Hyundai sourced heads that have the revised ports?

I'm very interested in this as i have an N/A motor in my EX lancer and am looking at options to get more poke out of it, so far i have stripped the motor down, sourced and balancced VR4 rods, have ( i think ) tracked down some 10.4:1 AMG spec pistons and am kust looking at head options, one that the americans talk of is to swap the g67 or g61 heads on as they (allegedly) have smaller intake ports and smaller combustion chambers. The plan is to run 44mm toyota throttles on a long manifold, but the std port size is detrimental to air speed. Great for turbo though...