250hp on stock block?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Mitsi God wrote:
mrb1 wrote:
S0LJAH wrote:cheers for your input guys

mrb1- my goal is 250hp at the wheels not flywheel.
The stock 4G63 SOHC pistons are not strong enough, if you are careful they may not go straight away but they will fail for sure.
The stock rods are the same as VR4 (except for the pin size) and are strong no problem there.
You will need head work to get 250wHP with the SOHC.
Mate, no head work needed... i just cant understand why you guys don't get better results from your sohc engines, the only thing mine breaks is feul pumps haha...
Mrb1 is old skool :D

250wHP is 175Kw ATW, too easy :beer

Run MPI, Evo III Turbo and a Cam regrind and you shouldn't have a problem :wink:

If you suss it out well enough, you can find good quality standard Cast pistons with a 1.2mm Top Ring, 1.5mm 2nd Ring and 3mm Oil Ring that fit the Starion Engine and will easily hold 400Hp :wink:

And I'm not talking about the DOHC VR4 Pistons either as your static CR drops down to 7.0:1 with them....... :beer
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Re: ...

Post by toysrus »

NachoMan wrote:
toysrus wrote:HKS Head ?
Yes. HKS head
HKS Ported I assume ?
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

Ported and manufactured by HKS.
Anything else you'd like to know? :)
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Yes, like maybe your address...........:twisted:

Are these reknown for warping though, like the old Ralliart ported 4G63 Heads ?? I assume it has HKS imprinted on the side somewhere etc ?
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

Hahaha!
Embossed on the end from memory, it's been a while since I looked at it. Not prone to warping, like the old Ralliart ones, that's why i went the HKS. Runs an HKS cam too.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

So you reckon you can challenge my goal of 250rwKW SOHC ? :)
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

OK WHERE ARE ALL YOUR STOCK HEAD 250wHP DYNO SHEETS (no hub dyno's please). PROOF PLEASE :glare:

Heres my 207HP. You can get about 220-225wHP with the stock head with a cam but you have to run 20psi. You can't run 20psi reliably with the stock pistons. Well maybe for 2-3 dyno runs if your lucky but that's not usable power it would not last 2 laps of Wakefield.

toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

toysrus wrote:If you suss it out well enough, you can find good quality standard Cast pistons with a 1.2mm Top Ring, 1.5mm 2nd Ring and 3mm Oil Ring that fit the Starion Engine and will easily hold 400Hp :wink:

And I'm not talking about the DOHC VR4 Pistons either as your static CR drops down to 7.0:1 with them....... :beer
Turbo makes the power everything else is just a restriction, you know this Mark :beer

I'll show you a Dyno sheet in a few weeks time......stock Head on DD in Shootout Mode and I'll get you the SAE Correction used.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

mrb1 wrote:You can't run 20psi reliably with the stock pistons. Well maybe for 2-3 dyno runs if your lucky but that's not usable power it would not last 2 laps of Wakefield.
Both myself and Old Fart have got stock Pistons which have held over 200wHP for a long time....... I'm assuming Mitsubishi revised the cast Aluminium used in there Pistons for the later models :wink:

Boost doesn't kill Pistons either, power does......and 20psi HP on one Turbo isn't the same as 20psi HP on a different Turbo... so saying the Pistons won't hold up at 20psi is a bit misleading :P
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

toysrus wrote: Turbo makes the power everything else is just a restriction, you know this Mark :beer
That's where you are dead wrong :shock:
The turbo has to allow the engine to make the power you are thinking about it the wrong way round.
The engine and exhaust/intake has to flow the air to make the power, period.
Last edited by mrb1 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

toysrus wrote: Both myself and Old Fart have got stock Pistons which have held over 200wHP for a long time....... I'm assuming Mitsubishi revised the cast Aluminium used in there Pistons for the later models :wink:
Yes that's right, gee I believe my dyno sheet says 207HP? However 200HP is a long way from 250HP.

Still waiting for your 250wHP run :roll:

Boost doesn't kill Pistons either, power does......and 20psi HP on one Turbo isn't the same as 20psi HP on a different Turbo... so saying the Pistons won't hold up at 20psi is a bit misleading :P
Yes Cylinder pressure kills pistons. Ok let's say 20psi on a TC06 or EVO3 turbo then.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

mrb1 wrote:The engine and exhaust/intake has to flow the air to make the power, period.
Correct :beer

250rwHP will be the running-in/untuned power LOL

Anyhow, to answer the posters' question, if it's easy to go DOHC then do it, the stock camshafts are good enough and parts are readily available if you want to repair or upgrade.
Mitsi God
[L] Plates

Post by Mitsi God »

hope the pic works... there you go, roller dyno, 187.4kwatw = 250hpatw and 870nm... believe me now, or do i need to upload a video of it?
Where There's Smoke... There's Tyres!
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Mitsi God wrote:
hope the pic works... there you go, roller dyno, 187.4kwatw = 250hpatw and 870nm... believe me now, or do i need to upload a video of it?
That doesn't count it's going down hill all the way :D
Plus it's 1.8 not 2.0 :oops:

So what mods do you have?
DD Phil
Enthusiast

Post by DD Phil »

toysrus wrote:
mrb1 wrote:You can't run 20psi reliably with the stock pistons. Well maybe for 2-3 dyno runs if your lucky but that's not usable power it would not last 2 laps of Wakefield.
Both myself and Old Fart have got stock Pistons which have held over 200wHP for a long time....... I'm assuming Mitsubishi revised the cast Aluminium used in there Pistons for the later models :wink:

Detonation kills pistons.

With the right fuel delivery and management you won't have any problems.

Phil
Purple JA, full cage, 6G72TT, collecting dust
White JA, 19x10s, GT30, Alcons, DMS, Crower 2.4, Hypertune intake, M800.....