250hp on stock block?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
S0LJAH
I love starions

250hp on stock block?

Post by S0LJAH »

hey guys im looking at options for dropping a 2l turbo into my ex lancer

my two options are the vr4 motor or the starion.my end goal is roughly 250hp, easily done with a vr4 motor in stock form with little stress on the engine

my question is am i realiably able to get this sort of power out of a standard starion block?i.e not rebuilding it with forged internals cam work etc, spending that sort of moeny i might aswell buy a vr4 engine
i would obviously do mpi and a bigger turbo to the starion motor
im not prepared to through enough money at the car to do a vr4 internals head/starion block

both engines woul be running aftermarket ecu's, big exhaust, front mounts etc.
the starion option is good as it enables me to use the stronger gbox and no hassles with firewall clearnce and rerunning water lines but if i cant get 250hp reliably then i dont see it as an option

so whats going to be more reliable and cheaper at 250hp?
any thoughts welcome cheers.[/img]
FlawlessVictory
tosser

Post by FlawlessVictory »

I can probably say that you wont achieve 250hp with a stock vr4 4g63, not even with a intercooler and the other small bits.

The thing that might happen when you do install a full range of aftermarket gear is that you will go over 250hp easy with the right boost combo.

A stock vr4 on the dyno @ the wheels will make around 130- 159kws at around 15 psi, thats roughly 170-200hp, and that is already with some aftermarket stuff. Ive seen this in real life at dyno days.

Its either stockish power or mega power, its hard to get in between.
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

250hp is easily acheiveable with a large exhaust, good fuel setup and aftermarket ecu etc maybe evo3 turbo but that would do it easy with more availbe id say, have friends that own vr4s so thats not a problem getting good reliable power there

the stock part im referring to is the block, i.e i dont have to strip it down rebuild with forged internals cam work etc to be able to acheive and handle 250 easily
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

S0LJAH wrote:250hp is easily acheiveable with a large exhaust, good fuel setup and aftermarket ecu etc maybe evo3 turbo but that would do it easy with more availbe id say, have friends that own vr4s so thats not a problem getting good reliable power there

the stock part im referring to is the block, i.e i dont have to strip it down rebuild with forged internals cam work etc to be able to acheive and handle 250 easily
I assume you mean 250HP at the flywheel that's about 200HP at the wheels?
That's about the max safe horsepower from the stock pistons. However depends what you are doing with the car track, strip or street?
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

I believe you can get 250hp out of a SOHC engine without to much fuss if your going to invest in a new ecu and mpi. Piston strength I'm not 100% sure on.
200whp has been done with a standard ecu at 13 psi with a slightly higher flowing turbo and a mild cam.
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

cheers for your input guys

mrb1- my goal is 250hp at the wheels not flywheel.

it is starting to sound like if i am going to the trouble of fitting the engine getting an aftermarket ecu, exhaust made up, intercooler etc i should just go for the vr4 motor snce thats the sorta hp im after

may cost a little more but at that sort of horsepower will be much more reliable and have more scope to mod further? :beer

if i had the sohc engine allready in a car (as you guys do with your starions) maybe it would be worth modding with cams etc but the dohc option maybe better because im starting with nothing?

vr4 motor may cost a little more and need a few extra things to fit but by the time i spend extra money getting mpi, cams, bigger turbo and maybe port work for the sohc motor i will probly spend the same wouldnt i?
and then at around 200-250hp on a sohc motor it is pushing the limits of the pistons rods etc and i would much rather a vr4 motor than go to the effort of forged internals etc as id say it would end up being more expensive in the end anyways and i would start to be at the limit of getting power easily and realitively cheaply out of the sohc and need to change to dohc version anyway

obviouslt best option would be starion block with dohc head and starion gbox but at the moment i dont really want to spend that much getting a motor rebuit etc rather just have a slighlty weaker gbox behind the total vr4 motor
FlawlessVictory
tosser

Dont forget that its more than just installing a cylinder head on the block.
You have to >

Install a belt tentioner
Hydralic tensinoer

That means some precise drilling and tapping of the timing cover.
Mitsi God
[L] Plates

Post by Mitsi God »

my ex lancer has 251 HP at the wheels, stock sohc 1800 ex gsr engine, mpi, and link g2 with evo turbo at 18psi... now it is very very possible!
Where There's Smoke... There's Tyres!
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

I've just had a motor rebuilt for one of my Starions and the projected power output will be around 250ish Hp at the flywheel. This is on 13 psi of turbo boost, Starion block, Evo pistons, HKS head, and HKS camshaft, and an aftermarket EMS controlling it all. Obviously I'll be able to crank up the boost to get more power, but how much more I have no idea. The rebuild wasn't cheap either, so if you're looking for big, reliable horsepower, you'd best have a big reliable bank balance.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

HKS Head ?
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

S0LJAH wrote:cheers for your input guys

The stock 4G63 SOHC pistons are not strong enough, if you are careful they may not go straight away but they will fail for sure.
The stock rods are the same as VR4 (except for the pin size) and are strong no problem there.
You will need head work to get 250wHP with the SOHC.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Re: 250hp on stock block?

Post by TOMSUN »

S0LJAH wrote:hey guys im looking at options for dropping a 2l turbo into my ex lancer

my two options are the vr4 motor or the starion.my end goal is roughly 250hp, easily done with a vr4 motor in stock form with little stress on the engine

so whats going to be more reliable and cheaper at 250hp?
any thoughts welcome cheers.[/img]

If you are going to be starting from scratch... go an SR20 or even a CA18... bolt on parts everywhere and they are already set up for RWD...
1985 JB Starion #157
Mitsi God
[L] Plates

Post by Mitsi God »

mrb1 wrote:

The stock 4G63 SOHC pistons are not strong enough, if you are careful they may not go straight away but they will fail for sure.
The stock rods are the same as VR4 (except for the pin size) and are strong no problem there.
Mate, no head work needed... i just cant understand why you guys don't get better results from your sohc engines, the only thing mine breaks is feul pumps haha...
Where There's Smoke... There's Tyres!
FlawlessVictory
tosser

Mitsi God wrote:
mrb1 wrote:

Mate, no head work needed... i just cant understand why you guys don't get better results from your sohc engines
Indeed, i say get a intercooler, boost to 18 psi and you have a fast car.
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

toysrus wrote:HKS Head ?
Yes. HKS head