Re-installing rear struts

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Re-installing rear struts

Post by ProZac »

Took out my banana-shaped strut out this afternoon and swapped the spring on to a spare, straight one. Putting the darned thing back in however... If i put the top in first and and the 3 bolts on loosely, I can get the bottom of the strut _almost_ into the axle housing, but not quite, the strut is still on to much of an angle and wont slip in. If i insert the strut into the axle housing first, I cant get the studs on the top to line up with the top of the wheel arch.. They seem to sit towards the rear of the car a little to far.

Can anyone help me please?
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

ok

first, either have someone stand on the suspension arm to bring it down or wedge a jack in-between the chassis and the arm to pull it as far down as possible, with the strut in arch insert it into base, you may need to pivot the hub to get it in, now allow the hub to lever towards the 3 strut top mounts, it should pivot enough on the arm.
Once this is achived let the arm back up slowley and align the top 3 bolts with the holes, its not an easy task but with enough fiddling and a bit of force, its entireley doable even by ones self.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Set the strut in the hub then line up the inner most thread on the strut top into its hole first then slowly jack the hub up and at the same time kinda guide/push the strut home. It IS fiddly - just be patient and work towards lining it all up and it'll come together
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Dz Nutz
[L] Plates

Post by Dz Nutz »

Drop the lower control arm, get the strut in, rebolt up the a arm and get it re-aligned. Easiest way but needs an alignment afterwards.

Other wise just use muscles and any leverage you can find.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Wicked, cheers for the replies, i'll have another crack at it after work :).
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

pro, shiftlock and i did his last weekend and it was heaps easier putting the top in first, we tried bottom in first and it was very diffifcult...
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Undo the sway bar link. This will allow the control arm to be pushed lower easier. Put the strut in the control arm. Push down and locate bolt through top holes. Put a nuts on top. Finished.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

In the end the top went in first, then loosened off the axel housing pivot bolt so it could pivot easier and muscled it until it was a straight shot with the bottom of the strut :).

Man, jobs are much easier when you've got a clear head and aren't all foggy from work all day :).

Cheers for the replies guys!