16" rims: from widebody to narrowbody...?

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
truespinmice
Big Dorifto

16" rims: from widebody to narrowbody...?

Post by truespinmice »

Hey!

I have a opportunity to buy (almost for free) rims from widebody http://www.allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=144114761

And I'm wondering what I must change to put new rims?
Is it possible to do this (I mean put rims from wide to narrowbody)??

PLEASE.....tell me that it is able to be done :D because I'm very horny on them :D

ps. I have 4x114.3 - pics are on the site in the link on my signature

regards, Maciej
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

You have 4 x 114.3, the W/B rims are 5 x 114.3.

Unless you buy 5 stud hubs etc they will make a really nice set of side tables.
truespinmice
Big Dorifto

Post by truespinmice »

Alspos wrote:You have 4 x 114.3, the W/B rims are 5 x 114.3.

Unless you buy 5 stud hubs etc they will make a really nice set of side tables.
yeah - that I know, but I have some problems/questions:
1) because 5 stud hubs aren't reach in Poland so....maybe I could drill the rotor/brake ??...or I couldn't? :?
or maybe I can fit hubs to my stazza from other car???

2) what about brakes? will my narrow 4 studs fits 5 studs?

3) let's assume that I have put w/b rims to my narrow - question: do I have to warring anything else? e.g. wheels will be brush or something else....?!

......I love this rims.... :cry: I will do anything to put them to my car (unless there will be some contraindications)
My main problem is these 5 stud hubs :cry:

ps. if I put them on, will they be stick out of the bumper?

one way or the other - thanks guys for helping and supporting me :wink:
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Front hubs can't be drilled, they are shaped to fit 4 studs. Not enough material to drill into. Unsure about the rears, but the problem will be some of the holes will nearly overlap if you redrill existing hubs so wheel studs may move slightly where the material is thin. Unless you get existing holes welded over first. Big excercise. I suggest finding something else you like.
truespinmice
Big Dorifto

Post by truespinmice »

Alspos wrote:I suggest finding something else you like.
e.g. new W/B Starion :wink:
Dz Nutz
[L] Plates

Post by Dz Nutz »

You WILL have to swap the front spindles for 5 lug and the same with the rear hubs to 5 lug. There are a couple in the states here who have done it and it looks sweet but it takes some work.

Havent heard mention of 'em rubbing when done though.

I'll get some pix of my 4 lug wheels I have on my 84 NB. Not sure what wheels you all where set up with over there.

D
Dz Nutz
[L] Plates

Post by Dz Nutz »

some reading...
I swapped the 5 lugs off a junk '85.5 on to my '85.

The front end I just swapped out the whole strut. The brake calipers are interchangable, so no need th change them. You can really tell the difference in the size of the rotors!

While I was at it, I swapped out the front crossmember because the one I was running had a loose lower control arm bushing and bolt. The bolt hole was ovaled. Piece of cake, swapped right in.

For the rear end I decided to swap out the entire rear suspension. I wanted the better brakes and the LSD. After pulling the suspension off the donor car, I got to poking around in my salvaged parts off my old wrecked '85 Plymouth and what did I find? The rear suspension from the Plymouth had LSD as well and it was in better shape (less play) than the one off the '85.5.

So I figured that I would just swap the axles off the 85.5 suspension onto the 85 Plymouth suspension and have the best of both worlds for my donor 5 lug suspension. Turns out that the drive shafts are beefier on the 85.5 and so I needed to swap them as well, cuz the 85 shafts didn't fit the 85.5 axle flanges. No biggie, just more knowlege.

completed the swap no problem!

Then I went and got my very first set of brand new tires: Falken ZIEX ZE-512's in a stock 215 60/15 configuration. $67.50 each installed. The only complaint I have about them is that they dont have as wide a tread contact patch as domestic 215's.