Understeering

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Understeering

Post by Junkers »

Hey all

After a new engine and being able to corner at a decent speed, I'm finding I have some nasty understeer problems. Getting as bad as going in a straight line with the when trying to do a turn, feels like the front wheels are on ice.
What can I start off replacing to try and combat it?
I have 205 michelins on the front.

Cheers
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

As you come of the breaks (gently), give the steering wheel a flick when there's still weight over the front wheels (and thus not much weight on the rear wheels) :twisted:
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Simplest solution - You need to soften the front suspension and/or stiffen up the rear.

The first port of call would be to try a bit less pressure in the front tyres. See how much you can improve things with this free adjustment.

Second step would be mucking around with the sway bars. You could try removing the front bar and see what that does. Again, another free adjustment.

After that you're looking at shocks and spring rates.. which of course means $$$.
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

I noticed after I tossed some coilovers on my car, lowered it a bit and got a bit more camber on my car, and also put a little neg in the back it seemed to turn in better.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Advanced Driving lessons ?????? rofl rofl
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Take it to a steering/brake/suspemsion place and get them to give you a safety check or report...

Midas do something like that for about $29 sometimes...
1985 JB Starion #157
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

You're Staz must be a rare one...

I pushed mine hard up and down a mountain range every day...never understeered once...lots of oversteer and drifting action...
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

ive tried to get understeer... wont have a bar of it.. as for oversteer... oh yes baby...

maybe your front suspension is FUBAR...

as for mine its stiff as and still no understeer
1983 JA Staz
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Thanks for all your helps guys :beer

I had the cars shocks checked (not springs yet) and the guy who did the test said it felt really stiff but typical for what it is. I think it comes down to me now entering off-camber corners too early - too fast.
S73R
Big Dorifto

Post by S73R »

i too have had issues with the staz's understeer... try ing to hit roundabouts at hi speed with 4 peoplz in the car a u will definately feel it..... but i love FF's which have a different driving style altogether.... hmmm i must get better at drifting....
"Only one way to live, Full BOOOST!!!!!!!!"
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Kiddies if u want 2 explore both your cars &your own limits please do it at the track & not on public roads :x
P/S if u do as i reccomend u will stand a better chance of becoming an old fart & not another statistic
PP/S The current statistics are that 1 in 4 new drivers under 25 will not b here in 10 years time as a result of a major motor crash
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

I agree with you old fart. I don't really do it at all, I was just curious at the time :oops: Where did you get the statistic?

4 years on the road and no fines. As opposed to a mate with 2k of fines within a year...

Does anyone here do trackday racing in Christchurch?
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

The numbers are from Safe Drive Training who teach defensive & advanced driving tecniques as well &can train drivers for CAMS competion liscences
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I hate street racing. I mean it is all fun and games, but it is way too dangerous. Imagine killing someone. You would feel guilty the rest of your life. Unless you are a scumbag.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

OLD FART wrote:PP/S The current statistics are that 1 in 4 new drivers under 25 will not b here in 10 years time as a result of a major motor crash
I don't believe this stat for car drivers... bike riders maybe...
1985 JB Starion #157