External waste gate

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
SOWTZ
Mine is bigger than yours

External waste gate

Post by SOWTZ »

Good idea or bad idea?
Anyone know of the downsides to it?
And has anyone done it on a Starion, if so would love to know what you think about it
Thanks people
I have a car. I use it to drive to work, to drive to work I need petrol, petrol cost money, I must work to make this money… it’s a vicious cycle!
DKshauno
Lil' Dorifto

Post by DKshauno »

Hi SOWTZ ,I don't think it would make much of a difference unless you are running a huge turbo that needs more wastgate flow to control higher boost
1982 JA Starion. LSD, wolf 3D, JD tc05 Turbo,(STD)cam, Double Valve Springs, 91 Galant MPI,42lbs/hr injectors, (STD)Galant Throttlebody, 4x EL Ford Coils, 400x500x95 PWR FMIC, 2.5" exhaust,Wolf Boost Controller, Balance Shafts Eliminated, Wolf Wideband o2.
?rwkw @ 14psi, 13.96 sec @ 95.94mph 1/4mile.
SOWTZ

Post by SOWTZ »

how big a turbo?
I have a car. I use it to drive to work, to drive to work I need petrol, petrol cost money, I must work to make this money… it’s a vicious cycle!
AB

Post by AB »

A few Cordias have needed external wastegates with VR4 engines and EVO 3 16g's.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

If you end up needing one I have real nice 38mm external gates in stock, as good as Tial without the price tag.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I have been told that 500hp + at the flywheel, (approx 280rwkw + ) you should start looking at an external gate on a 2L - 2.5L. That is running more than 18psi...

That's just a guideline...

Look at the garret turbo range... look at the hp ratings and where they start to move from interal wastegates to external waste gates... that should give you a bit of an indication of when that think you should be using an ext. gate...

my 2 cents
1985 JB Starion #157
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Most of the time only need an external wastegate if you are having boost control issues where you are having boost spiking in the upper rev range where the internal gate is too small to bypass enough exhaust gasses to control boost.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
DKshauno
Lil' Dorifto

Post by DKshauno »

I've got a tc05 on my starion, it was working fine for about 6 months then it decided to start overboosting , I found out what the problem was. I removed the exhaust housing and milled out the wastgate passage under the flap so it had about 2mm contact all the way around the flap, it's working fine now.
1982 JA Starion. LSD, wolf 3D, JD tc05 Turbo,(STD)cam, Double Valve Springs, 91 Galant MPI,42lbs/hr injectors, (STD)Galant Throttlebody, 4x EL Ford Coils, 400x500x95 PWR FMIC, 2.5" exhaust,Wolf Boost Controller, Balance Shafts Eliminated, Wolf Wideband o2.
?rwkw @ 14psi, 13.96 sec @ 95.94mph 1/4mile.