Substitute Alternator Found

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
jakobsladderz
Mine is bigger than yours

Substitute Alternator Found

Post by jakobsladderz »

I have found an easy mechanical replacement for the standard Starion alternator.. One from a Hyundai Excel...

The spacing between the legs is about right, although I did cut the inside of the split sleeve so it would go over the mount on the block.. Had to swap the pulley onto it, but that was a 1 minute job, the guy at the wreckers did it for me.
The connector is different, but easy enough to connect up. The plug I got with it (off an excel too) had a bigger red wire and a smaller pink wire. The bigger red wire needs to be run to the battery through a small fuse, this wire is the sense wire that tells the voltage regulator what voltage the battery is seeing. The thinner pink wire needs to be connected to the starion's blue wire through a 1 watt, 560 ohm resistor (to simulate the charge light).

Works fine. 75A too, plenty to power a decent sound system in the snow at midnight..
Trispen - A form of intelligent grass. It grows a single, tough stalk and makes its home on lawns. When it sees the lawnmower coming it lies down and pops up again after it has gone by. (Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff)
JA Starion - Mechanic's Training and on-road EFI testing laboratory.
sirusdash
Big Dorifto

Post by sirusdash »

I had to replace mine, couldnt get hold of orginal one so got a bosch one which was made for a sigma, it fits just the pulley is different size but you just buy a different size fan belt all works sweet :D
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Just use a Bosch Magna one it bolts straight on, still need the charge light mod though.
jakobsladderz
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by jakobsladderz »

Magna one looked like it had a bigger bolt through the pulley though - all the ones I've seen used the multi-v belt so they wouldn't bolt straight up...
Trispen - A form of intelligent grass. It grows a single, tough stalk and makes its home on lawns. When it sees the lawnmower coming it lies down and pops up again after it has gone by. (Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff)
JA Starion - Mechanic's Training and on-road EFI testing laboratory.
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

I've mentioned this before, but the L300 one fits and works fine, however it's only 50 amps or something! I have one running in mine at the moment. If I use the battery whilst the cars off the battery runs flat! :wink:
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

jakobsladderz wrote:Magna one looked like it had a bigger bolt through the pulley though - all the ones I've seen used the multi-v belt so they wouldn't bolt straight up...
i thought this was true with that bosch one as well
_

Post by 4g6beat »

Hey Mark,

what do you need for the charge light mod? i just had the wire disconected from the bosch alternator i hadand had to rev it up on startup just to get the dash lights lit properly.

Thanks.

:)
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
kit
Enthusiast king

Post by kit »

i have a bosch alternator 120 amp off a ford plenty to run my sound system
1982 Ja single cam 4g63 342.6bhp @ the wheels full show car imaculate
1985 Jb Fully stock original imaculate
2005 Ford Transit Jumbo & 2008 transit mwb
2008 VW Caddy Maxi 2006 hiiace commuter
2010 Toyota pardon kakadu and 2011 hiiace
2010 and 2013 VW Crafter 50 OH
2012 GLX R triton
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

I will have to find my notes on this, I am sure it's a Magna one. It's been on there for a long time. Maybe I used the Starion pulley I can't remember.
It says "BX" series. 9 120 060 929.