time to decide on ecu! Faves?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

chunkhead,

I had a look at the dyno print outs... one line looks like it was run at 16psi and the other at 30psi. (looking the run descriptions in the left hand side??? I could be wrong...???)

Also...

A 10.9sec pass with 235rwKW equates to a car of around 2100lb = 950kg... Impressive effort for taking weight out of a Starion

Etc...
http://robrobinette.com/et.htm
http://www.nationaldrivetrain.com/calcs/dragcalc.html
1985 JB Starion #157
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

I don't know much about dynos, so...

Yeah, car is a track car, weighs stuff all! Just two seats, roll cage and the engine!

Car did run 10.9 though... :D
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

ok dudes thanks for bringing me back down to earth!

i dont intend to internallt touch the engine at all:

just turbo (16g), evo3 inlet man., injectors etc...

what can be achieved with a internally stock engine???

any thoughts on this topic are very appreciated! :beer

mick
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

180Bhp atw is MAX for stock internals! It will run higher, but WILL die! I've seen a stock run 200 atw, lasted about a year and completely destroyed itself! And that's not being flogged, daily driver...

For Sale:
mrcordial
I like starions more

Post by mrcordial »

Out of curiousity can i ask why you think 180bhp is tops? not having a go just interested :)

If forgies can only handle a bit more tolorance than cast pistons or hypatec for that matter, tuning woulld be the majour role correct? aslong as you have enough fuel and ignition to run higher boost so it doesnt ping or detonate..
The only way to discover the limits of possible is to go beyond them into the impossible.
FRESHVR4.Wolf 3D.VL-T pump.hybrid 600x300x100.2.5" piping.3" zorst. TD06 20G 185fwkw on 14psi
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Mick wrote:thanks for the input everyone its great.

i know the other tuning shop does just about anything with decent results but the tuner who prefers motec is fairly methodical and gives half a shit.

sorry i shouldve specified what i was after.

so as follows.

1. totally daily driven
2. perfect trade between response and top end rip
3. 200kw @ wheels

bigger turbo will follow to achieve this (16g), also injectors and evo3 manifold.

is this a realistic goal?

thanks fellas

i will speak to both tuners further and post products they prefer that we can discuss?

cheers,

mick
yeah thats a perfectly reasonable, easy to acheive goal without pushing it too hard as to make it unreliable. to the uninitiated, mick is already running a galant vr4 setup (twin cam).

i like haltech, have never ever heard of one failing, E6X retails for $1350, this includes new sensors.

i also like the wolf 3D version 4, retails for $1095, and u configure it to run your existing sensors. similar quality to the haltech, similar tuning screen too.

both of the above ecu`s are my pick for value for money, they`ll run 99% of engine combinations out there, dont cost the earth, and are reliable. see if your tuner can work with these.

ems computers are good aswell, the 4424 stinger is under $1000, but doesn`t have as many features as the wolf.

motec and autronic are pretty much the best on the market, with the accompanying price tag!

microtech i have not a lot of faith in, every person i know that has one has had theirs back for repairs at least once! and that includes a well known ozmod rotary campaigner that works over the road from me!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Ahh... big difference running a VR4 setup! Should of said that!

For Sale:
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

I personally like Motec, but respect the fact that just about every ECU will perform a good result according to money spent. Simply put, don't buy a cheap old microtech and expect new car driveability and economy. Peak HP may be the same at the expense of minor coughs and black exhaust puffs, but will be cheaper.
I'd suggest that if you want good reliability & driveability look towards the higher end products. If you want a weekend warrior buy a wolf or microtech and spend the remainder on other goodies.

Find your budget and plan from there.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Post by Darkelf »

chunkhead wrote:180Bhp atw is MAX for stock internals! It will run higher, but WILL die! I've seen a stock run 200 atw, lasted about a year and completely destroyed itself! And that's not being flogged, daily driver...
Sorry Chunky, you're wrong. I have stock internals and am running a lot more than that and that was with my old TC-06.
bigmoz
Enthusiast king

Post by bigmoz »

chunkhead wrote:Because of who built it!

stop shit stiring i dont want to have to get into another heated argument

bigmoz :pimp
85 JB, forged, larger valves, ported and polished microtech, sonata mpi, td06 20g, intercooler, willwood brakes, koni suspention, 3.9LSD and more shit i cant remember

82 JA, blueprint SIRUS 4g63, dumped and a cooler 17's, exhaust... DEAD :(
big moz (chopyou@hotmail.com)
Sargeant_Khan
Enthusiast

Post by Sargeant_Khan »

i like it hot :drool:
PIZZA DELIVERY GUY....No more
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

redzone thanks heaps for the input mate i did have the wolf and haltech in mind and am pretty sure one of the tuners is very familiar with both.

autronic and motec would be lovely but do you think that it they would be overkill for 200kw at wheels?

basically, i know that no matter how much i spend on my car and how quick it is, there will always be something quicker.

im not going to sell short and buy crap, but if wolf and haltech will do a good job at that power level then it'd be a waste to spend up on motec, autronic?

sorry for not specifying the engine chunk :x
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
rallidave
Enthusiast king

Post by rallidave »

my 2 c,
autronic. better late than never
85 JB 4g63 SOHC
94 EVO2 4g63 DOHC
i wanna go fast
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

have decided to go with haltech dudes after talking with a tuner,

anyone really not keen on this?
grumbly
Strut Braces

Post by grumbly »

my daily driven vr4'd cordia runs a wolf, so did the last (sohc) engine. Excellent product. I wouldn't choose anything else (my opinion only)