time to decide on ecu! Faves?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Mick
Enthusiast

time to decide on ecu! Faves?

Post by Mick »

hey guys i know it wouldve been covered a thousand times but just need a bit of input about ecu's.

prices, thoughts and favourites please :beer

any help would be great, especially the vr4/evo motor guys.

one of the local two dyno tuners swears only by motec but i'm not spending the big $ if theres no need.

thanks guys. :beer

mick
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

what does the other tuner like?
Better off going with something they know and have experience tuning.
I have a microtech lt-8 which does the job fine at a great price (microtechefi.com has prices on the site).
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

What Chris83JA said.

You'll waste more money dickin around with tuning by getting something that the tuner is not familiar with.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
avandull
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by avandull »

I like Haltech,
http://www.haltech.com/
I have one. They are cheap lots of features and I am sure there is an engine tuner in Huonville that specializes in tuning Haltech. I found a 4g63 twin cam ignition timing map on the net for the Haltech ecu that I run in my car (with slight alterations).
If you are really in to saving money and like electronics and programming, Megasquirt it a kit form ECU that is really cheap, however some electronics knowledge is necessary.
http://www.megasquirt.info/

I also know person who lives in Huonville with a red starion with the twin cam motor in it and I think he uses a Microtech. I can pm you his number if you like and you can talk to him.
Agatha the ugly Starion
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

It's not a matter of which one is better, but which one you can afford to buy! Each will perform to their price bracket! However this will also be influenced by what the engine is actually capable of! If you have a 4G63 producing 150Bhp atw, you most certainly do not need a MOTEC! Following...?
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Easy to tune for your tuner or yourself (if you have a wideband sensor)...

EMS 8860 http://www.enginemanagementsystem.com/prod01.htm $1500

eg.... http://www.rigoli.com.au/itt38l.html (10.48sec in full street trim) and it is still able to be tuned to give a good daily streetability... I had a good chat to the owner of this can at WSID late late year...

I'm a bit bias as I installed it in mine :D
Last edited by TOMSUN on Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
1985 JB Starion #157
bigmoz
Enthusiast king

Post by bigmoz »

one compound word thats all i have to say

mo-tec

bigmoz :pimp
85 JB, forged, larger valves, ported and polished microtech, sonata mpi, td06 20g, intercooler, willwood brakes, koni suspention, 3.9LSD and more shit i cant remember

82 JA, blueprint SIRUS 4g63, dumped and a cooler 17's, exhaust... DEAD :(
big moz (chopyou@hotmail.com)
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

We all like different ECU's for different reasond. Speak to your tuner for what he likes

Ash
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Mick,

Would you consider tuning it yourself???
1985 JB Starion #157
insane_clown
Big Dorifto

Post by insane_clown »

Don't do what I did and buy a ECU and the closed place with a good name to tune it is 50+ kms away.
Also make sure you have a look at the specs and make sure that it will do what you want.
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

thanks for the input everyone its great.

i know the other tuning shop does just about anything with decent results but the tuner who prefers motec is fairly methodical and gives half a shit.

sorry i shouldve specified what i was after.

so as follows.

1. totally daily driven
2. perfect trade between response and top end rip
3. 200kw @ wheels

bigger turbo will follow to achieve this (16g), also injectors and evo3 manifold.

is this a realistic goal?

thanks fellas

i will speak to both tuners further and post products they prefer that we can discuss?

cheers,

mick
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Mick,

From my calculations... From 200rwKW = 267rwHP
Assumine 30% drivetrain losses, you will need 380flyHP.

To make 380flyHP on a 2L you will need to rev to 7,500rpm and run 24psi.

Note: 200rwKW in a 1250kg Staz should send you into the Mid to Low 12's!

So... 7,500 rpm... In a SOHC you will need pretty trick cam with a focus on top end power. Bigger valves and some head work would be a big plus. (Or a Stock twin cam should be fine)

And... 24psi... I think you will be looking at a forged bottom end. And some high octane fuel. Maybe 7.5:1 Compression.

Turbo... ?
http://www.gcg.com.au/Catalogue_Menus/T ... ett_BB.htm

200rwKW goal could lead the car to being a bit peaky in power especially if you select the wrong turbo and compression?

Flav and or Redzone might have some suggestions on your engine and turbo requirements. Also the realistic performance and drivability.
1985 JB Starion #157
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Single cam is already capable of 230Kw atw, running high 10's! Forged pistons, pump fuel, L300 manifold, running 20psi and at 6250rpm! Car ran 10.9, but was babied off the line so not to break anything! Car was also setup for track, not drag! Street car version, such as my proposed engine, properly set for drag run should run similar times! :beer

Car can be seen here http://www.beyondthelimit.com.au/ go to "Projects", then "Con's Circuit Car"! Pics and dyno sheet! :twisted:

For Sale:
Glen GSR III
guess its me thats broke

Post by Glen GSR III »

what turbo size chunks? And cam/injectors?

thats a great time for that car to run!

forgive me if im wrong but why is it that this car is running tens while ppl with similar mods are running 13's :?
82 GSR III starion (respray nearly complete!)
83 JA Starion...Daily Driver
01 KTM 520 trail bike (reason the staz isnt finished yet)
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Because of who built it! Everything is different to what most other users are doing, especially cam specs... :beer

For Sale: