Tokyo Drift movie review

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
avandulls_gal
Mine is bigger than yours

Tokyo Drift movie review

Post by avandulls_gal »

A comedy. No plot line, no charachter development, by the book romantic interest/love triangle (but not the menage et toi variety).

However if you want to see reckless and unashamed throwing of cars around and somewhat questionable pitting of Yank tanks (conveniently with a Nissan motor rebuild) against the traditional Japanese drift fleet for the Yank underdog surpassing the evil Japanese Drift King, plus thousands of dollars worth of parts being thrown carelessly at cars which are equally carelessly smashed against any conveniently located stationary, or even not stationary object - then this movie is for you. Especially if you like to see lots of scantily clad women driving and draping themselves over miscelaneous cars.

Oh, and since when did Vin Diesel's big black beast from Fast and the furious 1 get won (by Diesel) in a drag race? I was under the impression that was his dad's car????

But having a look at the making of, the scene in which they get sideways all the way up a curved ramp that is barely wide enough to accommodate the full length of a vehicle....stunt drivers actually DID that. Multiple times. With no f'ck ups.

Avandulls_gal ** (but only because it did what it was supposed to - give every hoon in the cinema a hard on)

Avandull ** and a half (couldn't do a half an asterix)
SEND PICS FOR AUSTARION CALENDAR TO: austarion.calendar(at)gmail.com

(replace (at) with @, just avoiding spam)

WIFE: noun: 1) pit-crew at race days 2) emergency pick up and tow service 3) shoulder to cry on after VERY unsuccessful race days
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

it wasnt the same car as far as I could tell, afterakll, he wrecked the damn thing.

As for the movie, people kept saying it was a good movie, then I go see, it and it sucked basically. A guy who looks 27 playing a 17 year old high school kid, everyone driving around in d1 style cars...

I could have thought of a better plit. Imo ff2 was way better since it at least had some plot.

But its a car movie, and damnit, I like cars. so, its alright. I'd go see it again. I still like days of thunder better LOL

Yanks,.... I hate that lol, im american, but I am no yank :D
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i actually loved it! :D four stars out of five from me..

way more accurate technical advice was given on this one therefore no full motec exhausts and 16 speed gearboxes (tsuchiya was involved, say no more) and did u spot Keiichi Tsuchiya as one of the fishermen on the wharf?? for those that dont know him, he`s the REAL dori-kin. he pretty much is responsible along with Daijiro Inada who started and runs option magazine for starting drifting as an actual sport..

i actually pretty much HATE the first 2 movies, as the amount of hollywood bullshit overwhelms the stories by far. i was cringing going in to see this, but came out pleasantly surprised! they could have easily just called it tokyo drift and not related it to fast and the furious, would have been better off in my opinion..

the alabama buttslamma accent on the lead character sucked ass, more than his 27/17 year old looks debacle. although i got a mate who looked 40 at the age of 18 so anythings possible!

the drivers for most of the drift scenes were rhys millen and tanner foust, both us drift champion and runner up respectively (this explains the point raised by avandulls gal, normal stunt drivers cant do that shit and pull it off). rhys was heavily involved with car setup for most of the vehicles (did u spot the RMR sticker on the bonnet of the EVO?) rhys was also the main driver in dukes of hazzard also, driving the general lee (1969 dodge charger)

and by the way, diesels dads car in the first one was a 1969 dodge charger r/t, in this one it was a 1968 plymouth belvedere gtx (or thereabouts, could have been a dodge super bee they look pretty similar) and i thought it was grey???

i would like 2 know if they actually crashed the yellow veilside RX7 for real, i highly doubt it, tho anything is indeed possible if u have a big enough budget!

and dont worry airbats, we usually call americans seppo`s over here, not yanks

yankee = yank = septic tank = septic = seppo. dont ask!
Last edited by redzone on Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

C'mon Redzone...At least get the terminology correct...Drift King in Japanese is Dori Kin....Not Dori King :P
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Every scene where it looks like they crashed, they did not. I have footage from someone that was filming them when they were making the movie. The footage shows the scene at the end where the jpn guy goes wide on one of the corners and smashes into a parked car. In the footage I have, he goes wide, but there is no parked car (ie, they have CGI'd in the car that he runs into)
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

not every scene, if you have seen that much you should also see the pictures where they have the side of the mustang completely messed up and also a proper fucked 350 when he put it into the head on collision.

Was worth the download and will probably watch it again, the drifting was real and thats the most important bit, the best way to make something look real is to do it!
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

SIR GSR wrote:C'mon Redzone...At least get the terminology correct...Drift King in Japanese is Dori Kin....Not Dori King :P
yeah i realise that! but not everyone on here does.... thought people might think i was referring to a brand of napkin or something... :D
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

EDITED FOR TRUTH!!

although i probably should have Tsuchiya and Inada`s first and last names reversed if u wanna get all technical (anal) about it :P

but i cant be fkd... :beer

JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

saw a pirated copy.. as soon as i saw the dodge viper vs v8 yank tank race through the housing estate i knew i was in for a average movie
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
avandulls_gal
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by avandulls_gal »

Ah it wasn't the same car!!! That explains it. At the end of the movie (well actually in both movies) I was not paying enough attention to notice anything except big, black yank tank and you can't rewind in a cinema and frankly it wasn't worth doing a web search for.
SEND PICS FOR AUSTARION CALENDAR TO: austarion.calendar(at)gmail.com

(replace (at) with @, just avoiding spam)

WIFE: noun: 1) pit-crew at race days 2) emergency pick up and tow service 3) shoulder to cry on after VERY unsuccessful race days