3" zorst

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
scum
I'm Banned!

3" zorst

Post by scum »

does anyone know what the legal-shmegals are in regards to exhausts? I’m making my 3" pipe at the moment and was thinking of just running the pipe from the dump to the muffler without any bends whatsoever. that way it will be LOUD! MUHAHAHAHA! 3" of ear popping power!
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

i have a 3" from the down pipe back, no cat and hi flow muffler. Technically being an engine change you would need to take the car over the pits and have it licensed as needing a cat, but if the car is still registered you can just change the engine number on the rego and get away with it. They can't tell the difference as the engine numbers for both a starion and galant vr4 both start 4g63bt.........
Or you could get a "Sports" cat (one with the bits knocked out of the middle)
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

a 1981 starion needs a cat? i thought i would get away without one. :? damn!
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
Rev
I like starions

Post by Rev »

I thought no cat is OK if the car is pre-1986 (or whatever year those adr's came into effect). I've just got a 3" almost totally straight back off the turbo (one small 15 degree bend just before the muffler) with a straight-thru muffler at the end and yeah, it's loud alright. :D

I supplied the muffler and already had the dump pipe made up, but he did from the dump pipe back for $300 (He said he would normally charge $350 but I have gotten him to do stuff for me before) :D It's very well done, and that is pretty cheap for 3" isn't it? If you want the exhaust shops details, PM or email me.
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

Only need a cat if you've got the relevant ADR (37 I think), or you do a motor transplant. For example, I have to use a cat on the 2JZ even though the car is pre ADR-37.
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

Post by SIRIUS »

2.5 inch dump pipe, 2.5 inch exhaust runs straight until after the diff were there is a slight offset for the jap muffler.... no cat or anyother muffler in sight...is reasonbly loud... :P
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF VIP 318 Fireball
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

---------- THE MOPAR MAN ----------
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

Post by SIRIUS »

going anymore than 2.5inch on a starion engine is just a waste...unless its pretty hot...
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF VIP 318 Fireball
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

---------- THE MOPAR MAN ----------
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Starions have catylic convertors????

Weird. I thought it was only the 2.6 JD that had them.

Mine came stock without one at all.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Post 86 I think, all cars had to have them and run on unleaded
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

Ok so some ppl misunderstood. I never said that the car is supposed to have a cat. I was talking about the fact that the vr4 does, thats why you may need one if you have to take the car over the pits. My car was still registered when the conversion was done, so the license just needed an engine number change.
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

The less restriction the better (on boost anyways) + 3" is a nice way of saying i won't need to replace you for a long time (never having to worry about changing cause it hold you back etc.) and stainless steel lasts even longer mmmmmm... damnit I want to drive now!
Rev
I like starions

Post by Rev »

+ 3" is a nice way of saying i won't need to replace you for a long time (never having to worry about changing cause it hold you back etc.)

Yeah, that is why I went for 3". I will probably lose power slightly at lower revs with the 3" compared to a 2.5", but I plan on eventually a VR4 or rebuilt SOHC with MPI. If I had gotten a 2.5", I'd want to upgrade to 3" later so might as well just get the 3".
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

The turbo will negate all backpressure effects anyhow, so going with a 3" exhaust will give you no drawbacks whatsoever, aslong as you can keep it under the legal sound limit.
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

exactly, my 3" stainless pipes i got off cookie (thank god) are pretty quiet actually i was suprised when it was idleing, I was getting a nice rexy thump in the low revs which was nice but that may disappear when i get my car back cause now i will have compression in all cylinders hehe

Cheers
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

3 inch exhaust

Post by Jesusdroveawestfield »

I disagree completly about the comment that anything over 2 an dhalf inch is a waste on a starion. Actually a 3 inch is heap sbetter, I know I have had both on my JD and there is no comp[arison. And this was with standard engine.
I wouldnt want to belong to any club that would have me as a member