Alternative lsd for Starion?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
gjgnz
Lil' Dorifto

Alternative lsd for Starion?

Post by gjgnz »

I'm not really familiar with IRS setups so please excuse my ignorance. I was wondering how difficult it would be to adapt a diff head from another vehicle into the rear of a Starion. Like everyone else I want a limited slip but I'm not keen to pay big bucks for a second hand unit that is likely to need a rebuild. I was thinking along the lines of a Skyline diff as lsds are readily available new and second hand.
mitch
I like starions more

Post by mitch »

I agree totally, i'll have a look at putting a nissan housing in the ja when i get time. I want to do this cause its easy to get decent ratios for them and also 1.5 and 2 way lsd fairly cheap. Ive put it in the 'one day basket' for now though
Rally
Lil' Dorifto

Post by Rally »

We have been playing around in the rally staz fitting a 180sx diff, the mounting side of things has been relatively easy. The biggest issue is getting driveshafts made that make the job cost effective. The tailshaft has been made out of a 1 piece unit sourced from the wreckers with the same diameter and the yokes re welded at either end to suit. Once driveshafts are sourced will post some pics......It has been much easier to find a suitable ratio (around 4.3 - 4.7) in the nissan diffs due to the amount of imports in wreckers these days
MMMM, dust in the lungs......
mitch
I like starions more

Post by mitch »

I would be very interested to see how you go with it. How much do you think the 2 drive shafts will cost? When do you think you will have pics up?
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

diff

Post by Starion VR4 »

Have a look at LOCK RIGHT diffs, they have them to siut most vehicles, even suzuki serria's, they cost $500 for the crown wheel carrier, fitting $150, U use yr old case so no problems with mounting. They R an AUstralian company, I have 1 in my GQ Patrol works a treat, they R like a detroit locker but softer. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
mitch
I like starions more

Post by mitch »

i looked into it a while ago, nothing available
sanderman
[P] Plates

Post by sanderman »

How about a Mitsy 3000 GTO diff as fitted to the four wheel steer Starion as seen in the Show & Go section first page.
Happiness is a tight Starion!
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

I'd go with a purpose built Ralliart diff....
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
Rally
Lil' Dorifto

Post by Rally »

The driveshafts will cost around $600 for the pair with us supplying ends, Albins Off Road here in Ballarat custom make shafts. The project all being well should be finished within the next couple of months. The diff has had a run in the car with a couple of cut and shut driveshafts but unfortunately were about 15 - 20 mm too short and when given shit on of the clips in the cv joint popped out from too much load. The driveshaft also managed to twist 2 mm in a fairly short run. It would have been completed by now except had a bit of an engine malfunction in the last event, so priorities changed, will keep you guys posted....
mitch
I like starions more

Post by mitch »

WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN SELLING MOUNTS FOR THE CARRIER TOO, TO SAVE ME HAVING TO MAKE THEM FROM SCRATCH
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

you really have to think about the amount of money you are saving, you can get a complete diff setup from oscar for like $800 landed now and if your after big power you can get the 3.9 and the chunky 8.5" center for not much more, compared to most commonish LSD's the price is about the same.
Rally
Lil' Dorifto

Post by Rally »

Correct on the $$$$ front, but supply is the issue. 3.9 is no good for rally use, it is just tto tall. Oscar has been chasing around fro us for nearly 12 mnths now with no luck so an alternative was required. With the rally car you have to have a reasonable supply of easy to get parts as breakage is inevitable from the hammering the cars cop. That's why the Nissan alternative has been a viable option.....
e-soom
[L] Plates

Post by e-soom »

I am running the 8.5 inch diff with 4.9 ratio out of early L200,bolted straight in. L200 also come in 4.222 and 4.6.What ratio would you need.
What gearbox are you running.Would like to get a close ratio if someone has one to sell.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Rally wrote:Correct on the $$$$ front, but supply is the issue. 3.9 is no good for rally use, it is just tto tall. Oscar has been chasing around fro us for nearly 12 mnths now with no luck so an alternative was required. With the rally car you have to have a reasonable supply of easy to get parts as breakage is inevitable from the hammering the cars cop. That's why the Nissan alternative has been a viable option.....
Man I still have the works 4.6 Ralliart diff for sale. You won't break that anytime soon. It's setup for rally with a tight clutch pack, oil cooler plumbed.
It all bolts in just change the drive shaft ends to OZ spec. You can get the drive shafts from Oscar.

You told me you were worried about fitting it because of the rules and now your fitting a Nissan diff and making drive shafts WTF????
Rally
Lil' Dorifto

Post by Rally »

The only time i have mentioned rules is in regards to the intercooler, which has limitations...the diff & gearbox don't.