New to the group.. help and advise with JA Starion Turbo

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
starrzzy
Lil' Dorifto

New to the group.. help and advise with JA Starion Turbo

Post by starrzzy »

Mother inlaw had a JA Starion Turbo which we have just inherited..the motor was blown up by a young lad when she lent it to him for a couple of weeks...

The interior is immaculate and after many hours of elbow grease to remove the build up of dirt that had built up on the outside it has come up like new. (minor stone chips)

>>My main question is ...i beleive a dohc 4g63 motor will fit into the car..
>>will this match the current gearbox or does that have to be replace as well?
>>are there any other mods that need to be done to fit the motor?
What price would i be looking at for motor, computer loom..

>> Or is the sohc worth repairing??

Mother inlaw had a quote from local mechanic ...he told her would cost about $1500.00 .. for what she could remember something to do with bal ..

Car does start and run but makes a loud noise..

Open for suggestions

not looking for a race car ... just want to make it reliable to drive
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Welcome aboard........Im Flav...as u can see! Any issues just ask around or you can add me to your msn and we can talk anytime directly.

Your issue with your car is that it has chopped out a balance shaft bearing.
This is very common with continual abuse of the engine.
I wish i could just come help you out as we do these removal/repairs for about $800
Forget the DOHC unless u have a stash of money.
If you have mechanical knowledge i will talk you through it and you will complete it in a day. Once the shafts are removed with my instructions, you will have a kick ass engine that will take 10 psi all day. This will transform your car from something normal to something great.
We also stock a huge range of spares and hot up bits.
starrzzy
Lil' Dorifto

Thanx Flav

Post by starrzzy »

So far have the timing cover off..
and one of the belts is stripped ...

Ok 1st questions is
Do i need to pull the motor out or will there be enough room to remove shaft ..

tried last weekend to remove no 1 plug
when we got car home ..only spent few min.. and plug spanned just slipped off ..
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

The engine can stay in..... :D
The parts you will need to remove are:
sump, radiator and hoses, (leave the fans on the rad. but just unplug the wires), all belts and a/c. idler, all front pulleys except for p/s., Plastic timing belt covers, alternator and wires, timing belt and gears and shaft belt if still there but not on yours coz its gone and this is just so common like a $2 hooker, all the bolts that hold the front pump housing and plate but not any water pump bolts and it is also a good idea to undo the nut on the oil pump with the huge washer and then undo the nut behind that (this is the oil pump driven balance shaft), undo the bolts on the other balance shaft gear, oil filter block, start pulling the front off and be carefull not to damage anything, the shafts should stay there and then u can slide them out after the cover is off, there is a spacer that runs on the seal behind the top gear. When u remove the sump you will need to turn the crank 90 degrees to get it out. Clean everything and get new gaskets.
If you can handle all this then i will take you through the rest.

If Deeks gives me a STICKY i will even put up a step by step diagram in the 'ZOOM Tuning section' that currently does not exist.

Why has your plug socket slipped off? I have never heard of this? My advice, and please take it, use quality tools...you will need them.
starrzzy
Lil' Dorifto

thanks Flav,

Post by starrzzy »

Flav,
Have just got home, have read you instructions and so far as clr as mud :)

will give it a go over the weekend..and get back to you soon

thanks for yor help
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Yeah matey, but you will get it as it comes along. Call me up or add me to yr msn messenger, then get an extension cord and put the pc next to yr car.. We can do it via voice and webcam!

Once they are out i will need to describe the modification process to you. No stress though, its quite easy.
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Isn't Flav just wonderful? :luv

... :wink:
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
starrzzy
Lil' Dorifto

update

Post by starrzzy »

For those following the progress..... Have followed Flav instructions...could not have asked for better....Have sump off...and removed all.. except bolt with large washer ... got to that 1 and has been rounded... project for today ...Took me awhile as i did want to rush... and had to get rid of a few redback spiders that had decided to make the starion their home ...Only other extra expence that i have come across ...will have to get a new radiator... when i remove this 1.. 1/2 the bottom section air fins are missing from the core... but no leakes ... will give u further update after get this bolt out .... Barry
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

Well, you don't get any better advice than from our resident Starion encyclopedia....Flav
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

nut

Post by Starion VR4 »

Barry, these covers R a shit to remove, get yr 1/2" drive extension, put the Square section over the rounded nut, hit end of shafta few times with a good size hammer, then hammer a 11mm single hex socket on to rounded nut, then undoooooooo. they need shock treatment to loosen the grip they have on alloy. :beer :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

Hey Flav, Can we hook up the web cam so you can show me how to get laid:D
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

.......well here i am on a late sunday night, (monday morning) and very happy to see you have come so far on this repair/conversion. Starion VR4 is correct about the removal of 'that nut', although a single hex socket may remove it also. Otherwise go brutal. Let me know when its off and i will compile some pix for you on what to do next.

Barney, if you do not know how to get laid by now there is nothing in my tool box that can help you.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

LOL LOL LOL
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

flav wrote:Barney, if you do not know how to get laid by now there is nothing in my tool box that can help you.
...now you know why Barney's sig is "Get Stroked" LOL
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
starrzzy
Lil' Dorifto

should have off by the weekend

Post by starrzzy »

found pic under technical ..(4G63 Engine Manual)
... which made it clear .. what is was attempting to do .. if i'm not mistaken that nut is only a plug ... can it stay till cover comes off ... just have to get or make a puller ...to remove the crank pulley ... but as i start late shift tues, wed, thurs, will have to wait till the week end....Flav, do i need any other tools to remove the Shaft bearings (Page 86 , 20 &21)??