Am I screwed? busted bolts

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
douglovin
[P] Plater austaz

Am I screwed? busted bolts

Post by douglovin »

So one of the studs from the exhaust manifold to the head stripped on the head side. i know i couldn't of over done it when i did the tightening. either way. all the other ones are in and good and tight. but this one in the pic is not

The other problem that really makes me cry. I was gonna clean the turbo and these two bolts from the side cover by the waste gate lever... broke ! The first one came out fine. The second one broke on like the 3rd turn. So did the last bolt. So I hope the shop can drill those out and re-thread it for me. Or am I screwed?

Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

It is a fairly easy excercise to get the bolts out if you are patient AND careful. A shop won't charge you much to do it. Depending on the condition of the thread in the head, you may want to put/get someone to put a helicoil in there, just to be safe.
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

nuts

Post by Starion VR4 »

I'm with Alpos. Get the head HELICOILED, staninless steel thread insert, If you buy a kit from a bolt/Bearing shop then you can do ityrself, kit costs about $50-70, has a packet of 10 inserts M8x1.25mm pitch in it and everything required. The turbo is a workshop job, It need to be drilled out down the centre of the bolt gradually getting bigger in size until U get to the base of the thread, then taped with the correct tap M10x1,25mm pitch, once u get it all done, use brass nuts on the exhaust, they don't rust and are easy to get off later. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
douglovin
[P] Plater austaz

Post by douglovin »

sounds good. im gonna take um in tomorrow.
crshbndct
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by crshbndct »

i just drill a small hole into the bolt, and then hammer a lanne key that is a bit to big into the hole.
that sometimes works.

chers
Abalistic
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Abalistic »

U will get them out, even if it means drilling a small pilot hole, and then drill it out bigger and bigger. After that get the correct metric tap and re-cut the thread. I think it's 8x1.25 metric tap, or take a good bolt to a tool shop and buy the right tap.
:)
JA 4g63Dash To4 Intercooled Wolf 3dv4
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
douglovin
[P] Plater austaz

Post by douglovin »

yea all in the shop right now.