Help!!!!!!!!

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Abalistic
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Abalistic »

You have a shit load of air in your fuel system, it will take alot of cranking to get rid of it...... or
Try the black plug near your coil, that is just sitting there doing nothing...
( you know, the one that you have always wondered what it does )
Get a piece of wire and power up that plug straight to the positive of your battery.
You will hear your fuel pump start up at the back, and as long as there is not too much noise about, you will hear the fuel come up and return to the tank.
Then go and start the car.

:beer
JA 4g63Dash To4 Intercooled Wolf 3dv4
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

Yeah, I know the plug you are talking about...That's the fuel pump check plug. I'll give your idea a go when I get home from work in the afternoon.

*fingers crossed*
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

Ok....Still not going.
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
rallidave
Enthusiast king

Post by rallidave »

any luck yet, big fella??
85 JB 4g63 SOHC
94 EVO2 4g63 DOHC
i wanna go fast
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

Not yet Bro...I've tried the cranking thing....I've tried the running the fuel pump without the engine going.....Tried turning it over until the battery went flat....I'm giving up...Looks like it's time for me to just give up on the Staz and sell it....Spend some money on the Honda :D
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
Ric
Lil' Dorifto

Fuel Pump

Post by Ric »

....Its me again. Boy are you having some trouble. Now getting back to basics, have you established whether the new pump is working and delivering fuel at the correct rate - because thats all it has to do. That black connector which abalistic mentioned can used to test fuel flow rate into a container (carefull!!) If its working and flow rate good then its a bit of a guess as to what is not now working. I would concentrate on the fuel pump.

Ric
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

Hello again Ric. I hooked the fuel intake hose up to a fuel pressure guage because I was worried about that too. It came up at just over the factory standard fuel pressure reading....
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
rallidave
Enthusiast king

Post by rallidave »

yeah ric, nothing wrong with the pump! :x
thats a quality repco pump there :oops:

rofl
85 JB 4g63 SOHC
94 EVO2 4g63 DOHC
i wanna go fast
Ric
Lil' Dorifto

Fuel Pump

Post by Ric »

OK..OK its not the pump. Would you please again describe exactly what happens (noises etc) when you turn the key (providing the battery not already flat!!)

Ric
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

Just the usual noises...Fuel pump priming...Starter motor kicks into action...Engine turns over....Just doesn't fire up and kick into life :(

I get my hopes up everytime I hear the engine turning over thinking that this time will be the time that it starts up and I can finally drive it again.
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
Ric
Lil' Dorifto

Fuel Punp

Post by Ric »

..Have you checked if the spark plugs are sparking??
Ric
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

That's one job I don't really want to undertake. It was really a last resort due to the fact that I have to remove the turbo due to the high mount position. The coil is firing well, and I managed to get plug 2 out to check if it was wet (engine flooded) and it was dry....
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
Ric
Lil' Dorifto

Fuel Pump

Post by Ric »

If the coils working OK and the plugs are dry after cranking it would seem that no fuel is getting to the cylinders which implies the injectors are not injecting. Can you hear the injectors working when you crank the engine?
Ric
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

I can't really hear much over the pump. I held the fuel return line, and felt the fuel going through it...
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
Ric
Lil' Dorifto

Fuel Pump

Post by Ric »

I have a JB which has a different throttle body assembly and you can see the two injectors and more importantly can hear them tapping away when engine running. Even tho the JA has the injectors enclosed in the throttle body I would think you should still be able to hear them.

It comes down to this. If you have spark to your plugs and a fuel supply you should at least get the engine to fire if not run. In your case something is missing (fuel!!).
I'm off to bed now and will resume this discussion tomorrow. It cann't be that difficult if the car was going OK until the pump failure.

Cheers

Ric