Help!!!!!!!!

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Help!!!!!!!!

Post by SIR GSR »

Anyone know what is the best replacement for the fuel pump on a JA? I think mine is dead as the car sh@t itself on the way to work this morning. Got it home this afternoon (on a towie) and the f/p doesn't even make any noise when car is turned over...

Used to fire up nicely. Not even any smell of fuel in the engine bay like there usually is....

Can anyone help.....even if someone has a f/p they aren't using anymore for me to try out....
Last edited by SIR GSR on Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
rallidave
Enthusiast king

Post by rallidave »

shhhh :wink:
85 JB 4g63 SOHC
94 EVO2 4g63 DOHC
i wanna go fast
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

Thanks Dave....

Hopefully you can find something useful...
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

could be the fuel pump relay?

Have you tried to put 12v straight to the fuel pump to check it?
1985 JB Starion #157
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

If you're sure it's the fuel pump. you've got two options:

1. Goss has a direct replacement, but it's expensive
2. Commodore VL turbo fuel pump (either Bosch or Goss) - but you'll have to cut off the banjo fitting, as this pump outlet has a barb fitting.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

Ok...It's definitely the fuel pump....Relay and all power to the pump are good....Just no action from the pump.

Guess the car is off the road for a while til I can afford to get a new one for it.
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
Ric
Lil' Dorifto

Fuel Pump

Post by Ric »

I have a replacement Goss fuel pump (GE027) in my JB and it has done 120,000Kls without a hitch. It is also very quiet in operation.

Just a word of warning. Make sure you replace/clean the filter in the tank and also the witch's hat filter in the line to the pump. If these become blocked the pump's brushes will arc and eventually burn out . My original Starion pump failed at 82,100Kls because of this.

Cheers

Ric

PS the in tank filter can be cleaned with acrylic paint thinners (nasty stuff!!)
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

Thanks Ric....

I wasn't even thinking about the intank filter....I'll pull it out and give it a clean when I do the pump swap in a few weeks...
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

SIR GSR wrote:Thanks Ric....

I wasn't even thinking about the intank filter....I'll pull it out and give it a clean when I do the pump swap in a few weeks...
If you find the in-tank filter is cracked/stuffed/torn, you can get a cheap replacement 'sock' type, as long as it fits in the depression in the tank.
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

Hey JPC...Just incase the filter is stuffed, where do I find the replacement type for it?
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

Ok, I've run into a problem with the pump. I've dropped the fuel tank down, undone the bolt on the pump bracket....But I can't get the pump off. It is still secured with the rubber hose that attaches to the steel fuel line. There is a bolt type thing behind the rear suspension bits....

Would it be alright if I just cut the rubber hose and clamped it onto the new fuel pump? I'm just a little worried about the hose blowing off, even if it is clamped.
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
Ric
Lil' Dorifto

Fuel Pump

Post by Ric »

.....Its been a while since I replaced the F/P in my staz but I seemed to remember I didn't have any hitches. You must undo the two fuel line connectors in front of the tank before you drop it. It is then just a matter of disconnecting the remaining fittings to the fuel pump. Its not really a job for Einstein!!

Cheers

Ric
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

SIR GSR wrote:Ok, I've run into a problem with the pump. I've dropped the fuel tank down, undone the bolt on the pump bracket....But I can't get the pump off. It is still secured with the rubber hose that attaches to the steel fuel line. There is a bolt type thing behind the rear suspension bits....

Would it be alright if I just cut the rubber hose and clamped it onto the new fuel pump? I'm just a little worried about the hose blowing off, even if it is clamped.
For starters, you don't really need to drop the fuel tank, but since you're already there...

I'm a little puzzled about 'the bolt on the pump bracket' - do you mean the clamp that holds the pump to the bracket? You really should take out the whole pump/bracket assembly.

The fuel pump bracket is held on by four bolts/nuts: 2 you can get to from the inspection cover inside the boot, the other two are mounted on the the front edge of the fuel tank. You need to lift the back of the FP bracket to clear the bolts, then pull it forwards.

As Ric said - disconnect all the fuel lines first. It is far easier to connect the rubber hose to the new pump with it out, as you may have to move the pump forward in the mounting bracket if you've cut the standard banjo fitting off the hose (which you'll do if you're using a VL fuel pump). You may have to do a couple of trial and error fittings to get it right.

When you're undoing the rubber hose fitting from the metal pipe, use plenty of WD40 and be patient - sometimes these are very difficult to undo (use a pair of flared spanners if you have them).

Have a squiz at:

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

A clamp is fine, just make sure the hose fits snugly on the barbed fitting on the pump - if it doesn't, get a replacement hose which does. There is very little resistance to pressure at this point anyway - it's all at the other end of the line.

With respect to the in-tank fuel filter, enthuzed has the right solution here:

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

There's a little black box (TDK) on the 2 wires that connect to the back of the fuel pump....What is it?
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
rallidave
Enthusiast king

Post by rallidave »

F'N FUEL PUMPS AAAARRRGGHHH :glare:
85 JB 4g63 SOHC
94 EVO2 4g63 DOHC
i wanna go fast