Happy Birthday 2 Me

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

Happay b'day, nice figure...

err power figure that is, that should be a good indication of what i can manage when its all back together.

*counts fingers* 12 days till im 21.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

LxS, you gonna take the car for a spin down the new drag track? :D
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
LxS
I love starions

Post by LxS »

Thanks again everyone -

The US quest one is basically the same size as the TC05 here but the rear of mine is a TC06.

Charlie: I want to take her to the creek soon, would be interesting to see a 1/4 mile time :D
8 2 ' M i t s u b i s h i S t a r i o n W i d e b o d y
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

i'm hoping for about that figure as well on the dyno on 1 bar, will have to take her down to a dyno day one day. u've got a hybrid turbs too, but opposite to mine.?. wonder how that effects the spool and top end. we will have to have a drag one day :P
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

Ohhh let us all know when and I will make a trip down especially for it heh. PLus maybe we could organise a night where we all get on and drag the strip.

Can't wait, oh BTW Happy Birthday Alexis :) took me a while but i got there.
Demost
[P] Plater austaz

happy b'day

Post by Demost »

Hey lxs happy b'day ill be 20 in june :P

Did you reverse the car onto the dyno??

Hehe

Dave
"The Mighty Sigma Lives On"
LxS
I love starions

Post by LxS »

Were all getting so old arent we LOL

No I didnt reverse it, I was making sure the front lip didnt scrap!
8 2 ' M i t s u b i s h i S t a r i o n W i d e b o d y
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Happy birthday LxS! :wink:
Yes Eastern Creek sounds good. Starions needed in force.
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

Post by Jesusdroveawestfield »

you'ld be suprised how much power you can push through a throttle body injection, just over 220kw atw, maybe a bit less due to 8 valves but still a long way to go before thinking about MPI.

You blokes really crack me up. Hello this is Earth calling. 220kw at the wheels on throttle body injection. And how exactly do we supply enough fuel through two injectors and the standard inlet manifold for over 300kw at the engine. rofl
Oh and the 8 valves is hardly a limiting factor on HP. Great car Alexis you have done really well
I wouldnt want to belong to any club that would have me as a member
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

Interesting points, anyone like to guestimate what the stock inlet manifold and TB could suport? Say, with a pair of 1350cc injectors.
Ive seen the yanks get good power from the JB TB and manifold on there 2.6lt motors, allthough its a common upgrade to have the TB bored out to 50odd mm.

Maybe flappa could give a hint as to what the gpA was getting :)
Ford G6ET 458wkws
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

The 2.0 GroupA cars had around 315-320HP in race trim (maybe a bit more in qualifying). The Ralliart Australian Safari Pajero 2.6 engines which had TBI were available in 275HP and 330HP versions.
I saw with my own eyes the GroupA 2.6 widebody Starion make 250HP at the wheels on Barry Jones "Jonespeed" dyno (this car had a Ralliart 330HP 2.6 so with approx 30% power loss through the drivetrain 250HP at the wheels is correct). 220kW is 295HP so yes I think 220kW at the engine is definitely achievable with TBI.
So 220kW AT THE ENGINE is possible but NOT EASY to get with TBI. 220kW at the wheels, gee that sounds a bit hard.
That also means on the 2.0 litre around 400HP at the engine?!?!? Maybe with 2.5 bar boost, who knows?

When I say TBI I mean the standard TBI and manifold not some ported out thing.

Are we talking about just getting a number or do we want the thing to last for more than 10 minutes!

cheers.
Last edited by mrb1 on Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

mrb1 wrote:So 220kW is possible but NOT EASY to get with TBI.
But 220kW AT THE WHEELS was quoted. Do you think this is possible?
flappa
Lancer is the answer

group A

Post by flappa »

A full spec Staz group A touring car ran "around" the 400hp mark in race trim. In qualifying it was upwards of 450hp at the engine. I say "around" because depending on the thickness of the decompression plate, what cam and how much boost they wanted to run would have a pretty big effect on the end result. If you really really wanted to screw it right up for a lap, you could do so proportionate to the size of the bulge in your back pocket, but it would almost definately melt something!

MRB1: That 2.6 widebody, was the one you're talking about the showcar that ralliart had for years and years? If it is then it actually raced against my dads car once, and as pretty as the widebody was, it wasn't fast at all (no development). Would have been nice if they had sold it earlier!

There was also a lot of cross over between the group A touring cars and rally cars, and yeah they tried running the touring car spec in the rally cars and found it pretty much undrivable. Like wheelspin in 5th gear undrivable, so they ran less boost and a wider cam than the touring cars. So the rally cars ran around 300-350hp at the engine.

But yeah, the stock manifold is really not very pretty. The cause of many many engine failures... Important thing to remember with group A cars is most everything was designed around the restrictions, or attempted anyhow :) So if you aren't really restricted to using the standard manifold then don't!!

Sorry for hijacking your happy birthday thread LxS!
karupt
Newcomer

Post by karupt »

Cookiemonster wrote:LxS, what has been done to the engine? I ask because if the engine is stock then that power figure would seem a tad 'optimistic' to me.
Cookie,

As you can see by the dyno printout, the run was done in shootout mode, I hardly think its optimistic, however I am not entirely sure of what starions are capable of, keep in mind this run was NOT done on C&V's dyno or any other 'happy' dyno in sydney.. The ambient temp in the dyno room was around 30 degrees, and the car had just driven over 1hr in traffic..
As you can see looking at the AFR's it is running dangerously lean in the top end, boost was limited to 12psi on that run, however boost spike to 14psi does ocurr.. the dyno operator also babied the car up until WOT to avoid getting boost spike and boost cut (as seen in the video which should be up soon)

With further mods, Ie malpassi 1.7:1 rising rate regulator and an appropriate bosch motorsport or walbro fuel pump, Supposing we can keep the AR's at around 11.5 or there abouts I dont see the car having any problems reaching 150kw@wheels on about 16-17psi, as it made that much power on essentially 12psi running as lean as all buggery..

I think congratulations are in order for Alexis, as her power output managed to surprise quite a lot of people..

K thanks bye..

Andrew.
'92 Subaru Liberty Rs/Ra
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

I know which dyno I'll be going to next time I need a power run.