removing balance shafts

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

removing balance shafts

Post by iXNAY »

does anyone have a guide to removing balance shafts from the 4g63 SOHC?

ive done a search but havn;t really found any photos
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
85_cordia_gsr
Lil' Dorifto

Post by 85_cordia_gsr »

is for VR4 but can't see it being any different... :wink:
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/balance-shafts.html
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Be aware the balance shaft stub shaft p/n MD098626 does not fit the Starion oil pump because the DOHC balance shaft is bigger in diameter.
However you can make the same thing by cutting up a balance shaft and blocking the oil hole.

To my knowledge there is no equivalent stub shaft part for the SOHC engine however I will be happy if somebody can prove me wrong?
In my Mitsubishi engine manuals it talks about balance shaft and non balance shaft engines so maybe there is something??????????

When I ordered the balance shaft eliminator kit from Repco they gave me an Astron one which of course does not fit.
When I said that was wrong the Repco guy said "well that's the part number it shows in the catalogue", ie. zero help.
Abalistic
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Abalistic »

One option is to remove the small drive belt, that drives the shaft on the Left side of the motor ( looking from the front ), and just leave the shaft in positon. Just forget about it.. and let it block the oil holes for it's bearing's.
For the other balance shaft, ( the one on the rightside ) that is driven by the timing belt, take it out and machine the lobes off it in a lathe and put it back in. I think this will work and save all the trouble of getting a kit.
A.
JA 4g63Dash To4 Intercooled Wolf 3dv4
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

Abalistic wrote:One option is to remove the small drive belt, that drives the shaft on the Left side of the motor ( looking from the front ), and just leave the shaft in positon. Just forget about it.. and let it block the oil holes for it's bearing's.
For the other balance shaft, ( the one on the rightside ) that is driven by the timing belt, take it out and machine the lobes off it in a lathe and put it back in. I think this will work and save all the trouble of getting a kit.
A.
sounds like a great idea :)
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Try this option for a free balance shaft removal, should work with the starion engine.

http://www.ecanfix.com/~mdhamilton/balanceshaft.html
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Abalistic

Post by Abalistic »

Yep, that will work fine, but I'm worried that the front bearing will not support the extra load on it with the shaft removed.
JA 4g63Dash To4 Intercooled Wolf 3dv4
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
S73R
Big Dorifto

Post by S73R »

will the vibs set the knock off????
"Only one way to live, Full BOOOST!!!!!!!!"
filiboy
I like starions

Post by filiboy »

I wonder why do u take out the balance shafts, when I got my starion there was no balance shafts so i bought new ones and installed them. The engine work changed. Do u gain any more revs from taking the balnace shafts out of the engine?
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

1) Remove balance shaft on left side of motor, remove the bearing as the front of the block, rotate it a bit and press it back in, this will block the oilway. Put a frostplug (35mm) in the aluminium front motor plate where the shaft used to stick out and bob's yer uncle for that one. heres a pic of my motor at the moment, you can see the front plug

2) The other balance shaft is part of the oil pump. It supports the smaller oil pump gear, so you cant just take it out.
ImageImage
What you want to do it take the shaft out and cut it at around about the marking in this picture:
You'll notice about now that this shaft is actually hollow, oil flows along it to lubricate the rear bearing. You need to tap it and put in a grub screw with some loctite sealant to block this oilway. Stick it all back together and enjoy some free power, at the cost of some vibrations :). Totally worth it if you ask me. Hope this helps ya out.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

RiceThief wrote:Try this option for a free balance shaft removal, should work with the starion engine.

http://www.ecanfix.com/~mdhamilton/balanceshaft.html
Ahhh, they had a good idea tapping the bolt hole a little longer and using a longer bolt to seal off the oil hole. Might have been less buggering around than using a grub screw from the other end.
AB

Post by AB »

Just to add on to what ProZac said, this is what mine looked like after cutting, tapping and blocking with a bolt.