removing/replacing JB side mirror

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Ric
Lil' Dorifto

Post by Ric »

Hi

Has anyone removed (successfully) a side mirror from the plastic housing? I need to replace mine which is no longer there!! I am in the process of obtaining a replacement mirror which is in a housing not as good as mine.

Is this a difficult/easy job??

Ric
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

G'day Ric,

I had my mirror repaired by a glazier. Just a matter of removing all glass from plastic backing,
the glazier cuts to size, glues & silicones the mirror back in plastic surround. All for around $30 bucks. :)

I don't remember the mirror & surrround being difficult to remove! Unscrew from bottom and a bit of a fiddle and jig and it's out!
Or did I take the whole unit to just replace glass??? Anyway, try these options.

:beer
Mal
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
Ric
Lil' Dorifto

Rmoving/replacing JB side Mirror

Post by Ric »

Thanks Mal

I'm hoping I don't need a glazier if I can extract the mirror complete/unbroken. I would think what ever is attached to the back of the mirror just clicks onto the plastic ball socket which is in front of the adjustment mechanism. That sounds like a mouthful!!

Anyway I will have a spare drivers side unit to find out how it's done.

Cheers Ric
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Ric,
I think you will find it easier to replace the complete unit rather than just the glass. If the condition of the plastics is worse, they can be swapped relatively simply.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
Ric
Lil' Dorifto

Post by Ric »

Thanks Anthony. I assume you mean the whole internal mirror unit as opposed to the complete side mirror assembly. I wouldn't try to extract just the mirror itself if its attached to something. As i said I don't know what is actually attached to the back of the mirror.

Cheers

Ric