Front suspension show and tell

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
isnowi
[P] Plates

Front suspension show and tell

Post by isnowi »

Hi all i'm after a bit of feed back re what sort of front suspension you guys are running, i've managed to get hold of a set of starion struts to go in the front of my ex lancer rally car , and am hoping to get an idea on what shock inserts people have had success with, as well as what sort of spring rates you run. (probably not of huge benefit to me but helpful nonetheless.)

While i remember i may as well ask what brake pads seem to give the best performance for dollar ( i have searched and fouund a little, just wanting a bit more info)

cheers Dan
cheaterparts
I love starions

Re: Front suspension show and tell

Post by cheaterparts »

isnowi wrote:Hi all i'm after a bit of feed back re what sort of front suspension you guys are running, i've managed to get hold of a set of starion struts to go in the front of my ex lancer rally car , and am hoping to get an idea on what shock inserts people have had success with, as well as what sort of spring rates you run.

While i remember i may as well ask what brake pads seem to give the best performance for dollar ( i have searched and fouund a little, just wanting a bit more info)

cheers Dan
I run starion stuts in my sigma track car
and have made up coil over adjustable platforms with 2 1/2 " dia ID 300 pound springs with this I run my own adjustable top hats

as for the inserts atm it has some pretty shit house gas filled inserts that now I've been findind not doing the job as well ( the faster you go the worse it gets ) but what I have done for one of the other guys was to cut down the stut lenth and fit holden cameria stut inserts they had a good drop height and with the shorter strut body lenth it has more travel with the car lowered
Koni list an adjustable insert for cameria and I'll will prob get a set of these

now as for brake pads I also would like to know if anyone has come across good pad material I've been using metal kings
but these are only just doing the job with the pads needing dressing up a lot to keep them flat ( the centers wear quickly giving a spongy pedal )

as for my starion ( still being built ) I dout that I will use starion struts or brakes on the front
I think sigma green legs are easier to fit up custom disc brake mounts

cheater
http://cheaterparts.tripod.com
isnowi
[P] Plates

Post by isnowi »

Yeh i have a set of sigma struts, all worked out with vr4 brakes and adaptor plates, however on my ex lancer the sigma struts give a slight positive static camber, i would really like to acheive about 1.5 neg, to do this i need to make up new top hats and possible longer bottom arms to, so in the meantime i will rebuild the starion struts and run those until i can sort out the sigma jobbies.

Will probable run metal kings too, only concern with them is getting them up to temperature quick enough, the average gravel sprint around here is all of a couple k's long, doesn't leave a lot of time for the brakes to get to operating temp, at least i'll be able to pull up quickly at the finish line LOL
DD Phil
Enthusiast

Post by DD Phil »

I've gone the coil over route, the front brake upgrade went pretty smoothly. GSA made up these brackets for my Alcon 4 pots:

I'm running DBA 5000 series EVO 8 hats and DBA 5000 340mm HSV discs:

See http://austarion.com/forums/view ... highlight=

Phil
Purple JA, full cage, 6G72TT, collecting dust
White JA, 19x10s, GT30, Alcons, DMS, Crower 2.4, Hypertune intake, M800.....