exhaust poping noise

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
pro gsr
Big Dorifto

exhaust poping noise

Post by pro gsr »

i keep getting a poping cross back fire out the back exhaust, just when i back off and slowing down. Idles & revs without the poping, back fire noise.

what could be causing this?

i bought a new coil MSD BLASTER 2, put it in the car connected all the wires right. & put a 10.0mm ignition lead on the distributor to the coil.

i also had changed the o2 oxegen sensor from a vr4 got a base plate made up.

could this be a timing problem?

any help would be appreciated. cheers fellaz
mitsubishi starion jd 1985, factory intercooler,
custom stainless intercooler pipe work,to4 compressor wheel,10 psi boost,boost controller, 2 & half inch exhaust with stainless muffler 4 inch tip, 15 inch mags
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Detonation in the exhuast manifold from running rich would cause the popping noise.
Last edited by Junkers on Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Generally caused by fuel overrun.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Could a msd blaster 2 coil create a reasonably bigger spark than a standard starion coil? i.e. making the spark to ignite whatever is in the exhuast port
honest_jim
Dorifto!

Post by honest_jim »

mine started popping back like you discribed after i got a S/S exhaust put on. I think the cars running abit rich, it smells it sometimes. Trouble is it just sounds so good!
Starion 2000 EX.. bosch fuel pump, sard dumpvalve, knN drilled air box, Haltech F5 + 2 injectors, turbosmart FCD + Dual stage boost controller, tublar turbo header, turbo back 2.5" stainless exhaust 4.5" tip, Innovate MS wideband A/F meter.
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

exhaust popping on throttle overun is usually caused by air/fuel mixtures going to lean, typically leaner than 17.5:1 accompanied with to much ignition timing eg more than 30 degrees BTDC.

If you are running an aftermarket ecu this is easily rectified, if standard is likely to be a bit more tricky, but may be related to what manifold port the vac line to the distributor is being used.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Considering the injectors would only be flowing at an idle rate when you use your engine to slow down, it would be fair to expect a lean mixture, not sure how the timing would go so far out though?
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Buggered vacum advance unit?

Every starion i've had has popped and boomed away while engine braking, i considered it part of their charm.
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

Personally I like it too...

Adds to the tough sound of the tough car....

Gotta love it....Good for scaring innocent pedestrians at crossings LOL
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

blue tailpipe flame has an immediate affect on the cars behind you in the harbour tunnel rofl