2.4ltr -Who makes pistons??

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/

they have many different 4g63/4 combos there
logik
I love starions

Post by logik »

any forged pistons for 4g64 still running sohc head?
gordonspec® racing
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

I would never replace any stock mitsu piston for a street car.
I'd boost the truck/ute 2.4L sohc just as it is (will do with mine). Money better spent on tuning.
Even stock mitsu n.a. pistons have proven to be strong. Some 2L dohc gone past 170,000 miles and still see 30+psi on stock slugs
logik
I love starions

Post by logik »

i just dont want to have to be fishing pieces of piston out of the sump after 350bhp or so!

what sort of power do these 4g64 pistons max out at?

edit: the reason i ask, is all the dsm stuff i seem to read suggests that even if you drop the compression ratio.. 11psi seems to be the most boost you can reliably run. 4g64b on this forum runs 1bar.. so is there something im missing?
gordonspec® racing
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

could be something in that comparing a l300 4g64 to a seppo 4g64 is like comparing a starion motor to a late evo motor.

sohc vs dohc, 6 vs 7 bolt, wide vs narrow
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

In an attempt to stick with the low budget 'fantasy', many folks would love to skip the piston/rod $tep, bolt on the dohc and go. Compression is too high and thats where the 11psi comes from I suppose.

If your tuning is 'off', you'd be fishing forged piston bits from the sump too.

4g64b had shaved the pistons to lower compression a tad. Question is, does this hurt piston strength 'more' than the newer cr help ? Obviously someone knew what they were doing, as its an excellent example of what can be done boosting a "basicly stock" 2.4L sohc. Even more impressive, is that it holds up to 'track duty'.
I can't sit here and 'guess' the hp limit for the stock pistons, but I'd have no problem chasing my 300 first, then 400Whp goal. Street car. Best thing about the boosted sohc is a great tq curve. 400 ft-lbs tq is a beast. Motors are plentiful and cheap this side. Those are the ones you experiment with :)
The low 4g64 SOHC wrecker motor price is what lures folks toward building a 4g64 DOHC, but to get the most from it cost$$$$ (cams, headwork, custom inlet manifold and standalone etc..). They often find this out too late. Still a tremendous 'bargain' compared to the ridiculously priced japanese aftermarket crap.
Perhaps better off with a stock piston 4g63, as they've proven amazing on mitsu ecu.
A boosted 4g64 sohc is next on the "best bang for the buck" list imo.
logik
I love starions

Post by logik »

i think three years of running with a stock head gasket for a mitsubishi is the amazing part (in regards to 4g64b's build)

i dont know how you guys run the boost that you do on stock internal dohc 4g63s....

i should have said before, i didnt know if they had their pistons machined or not - so this is probably the limiting factor.. cheers for the help!
gordonspec® racing