Clutch Installed!! at last

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Clutch Installed!! at last

Post by TD05 »

thanks to all who helped with tips and stuff, I put it in last week and it all didn't go smooth and luckily cursing is not a criminal offence anymore so it was ok :D

btw where is the transmission refilling plug, on the exhaust side or the passenger side????
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Passenger side from memory, but honestly, its easier to fill from the shifter hole... How many litres does it take again?
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Yep, it's on the passenger side, right in the middle (vertically) of the gearbox. From memory, it's either a 17mm or 19mm plug. If you have a pump of some sort, it's easy to fill. I think it's around 2.5 litres. Just make sure you have at least this amount, fill slowly, and when it starts to come out of the fill plug, it's at capacity. Make sure you fill with the car level.

BTW - if it's been a long time since the fill plug was undone, you should have loosened it while the gearbox was still out. :oops: ?

You can see the fill plug clearly in the pic below - it's right above the red jack arm, above the piece of wood on top of the jack.

Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

my filler plug was a quite good effort, the head of the plug was completely stripped and after welding on a nut it still required a 5' breaker bar and allot of force.
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

This may be a stupid question, but when do you know it's time to put more oil in?
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

i tried to have a go when the box was out, but it was bloody tight and I wasn't sure it was the right one & didn't want to strip it, so I used the shifter hole to put the oil in... but now that I know, I'll give it another go to make sure the level is right.. thanks
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

SIR GSR wrote:This may be a stupid question, but when do you know it's time to put more oil in?
You don't. You have to check it, by undoing the filler plug and checking the oil level by sticking a toothpick or something similar into the filler hole. You need to know if the oil level is up to the filler hole. Diff oil is checked in the same way.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

not a bad idea 2 actually overfill the gearbox(thru the shifter housing) by putting 3 litres in. These mitsu gearboxes dont carry enough oil standard, in a competition application they really benefit from more oil as it keeps em cooler.. I use castrol syntrans synthetic (not syntrax) which costs $18 a litre but is worth every penny..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Miss GSR
Big Dorifto

Post by Miss GSR »

How do you fill the box from the shifter?
Slippery when boosting!!
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

centre console out(interior) and undo the bolts holding the shifter onto the top of the box.. oil flows in and down to the centre of the gearbox..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

Miss GSR
Big Dorifto

Post by Miss GSR »

Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow.
Slippery when boosting!!
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

JPC wrote:
SIR GSR wrote:This may be a stupid question, but when do you know it's time to put more oil in?
You don't. You have to check it, by undoing the filler plug and checking the oil level by sticking a toothpick or something similar into the filler hole. You need to know if the oil level is up to the filler hole. Diff oil is checked in the same way.
bah, just use your finger
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

ProZac wrote:How many litres does it take again?
2.3liters
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Out of interest can you damage the gearbox in anyway if you over fill it?
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

absolutely positively no u cant damage it in any way by overfilling them. unless u put like 5 litres in or something silly like that which would make oil come out of the breather and make a mess... drastically overfilling it could also make the gearbox take more power to drive it from having more of the gears running in oil... but talk 2 any gearbox shop and they`ll tell ya how often they rebuild mitsubishi gearboxes ( of almost all rear wheel drive and 4wd configurations) because of old or a lack of oil... hope that answers ur q.