what damage?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
MrBtchy
[P] Plates

what damage?

Post by MrBtchy »

i have a couple of questions...
firstly the cambelt snapped on the 4g63, what damage should i expect?
and secondly, on the thermostat housing are to electrical connections.
the top one has 2 pins and the bottom has 1. i would like to know what each of these is for/does?

thanks for the help
shirwan.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

If your cambelt snapped you should be ok, the valve recesses should of stopped the valves from hitting the pistons.
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Expect to replace the cam belt in the near future. :D

Thermostat housing electrical connections? Pics? May be something aftermarket like a coolant level sensor or something?
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Re: what damage?

Post by Cookiemonster »

MrBtchy wrote:on the thermostat housing are to electrical connections.
the top one has 2 pins and the bottom has 1. i would like to know what each of these is for/does?
They are water temp sensors. The single prong sensor drives the water temp gauge on the dash. The 2-prong sensor is the water temp sensor for the ECU.
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

If your cam belt snapped you could have siezed your balance shafts.Time to get rid of them :D
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

while i wholeheartedly support the idea of getting rid of the balance shafts, there is other reasons for it to snap, the main one being oil and dirt getting on the belt and making it hard and brittle
MrBtchy
[P] Plates

Post by MrBtchy »

Cookiemonster wrote:
MrBtchy wrote:on the thermostat housing are to electrical connections.
They are water temp sensors. The single prong sensor drives the water temp gauge on the dash. The 2-prong sensor is the water temp sensor for the ECU.
thats what i thought too, but the guy who has been rewiring my car said that the single prong sonsor was an open curcuit meaning it was for the fan?? i don't like the idea of driving around without knowing what's going on under the bonnet.
the manifold is a japanese import sapporo one.

having only just put the engine in the car and not really knowing what i was doing i think i may have inadvertantly over tensioned the cambelt.

thanks for the reply's guys
if there are any other thoughts on the sensors considering what manifold they are on i'm always ready to listen. but i think cookie monster has it right.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

MrBtchy wrote:thats what i thought too, but the guy who has been rewiring my car said that the single prong sonsor was an open curcuit meaning it was for the fan??
The water temp fan switch is a single prong unit located at the bottom of the radiator.