Gearbox for Sirius dash?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Didn't really ask an unambiguous question.

Discussing wide and narrow blocks and you asked about short or long motors?
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

gotrice? wrote:Does the starion have, the short motor or long motor?
Definitions:

Short Block - bottom end only
Long Block - bottom end with head

Wide Block - 330mm bellhousing gearbox pattern
Narrow Block - 310mm bellhousing gearbox pattern

The narrow / wide is assuming you are talking the 4G63 engine. The 4G63 engine switched to the narrow block pattern when the engine went FWD configuration - e.g. VR4, Lancer Evolution

The engine mounts also changed after the Lancer Evolution, and the engine layout was rotated 180 degrees for the Lancer Evolution IV and onwards.

Starion uses the RWD format - which is the larger 330mm bellhousing gearbox pattern. The Galant VR4 motor will bolt up to the Starion mounts, but not the gearbox. The Starion DASH engine is a wide block, but I'm not sure about the Cordia DASH block.

I hope that helps clear things up. I could smell confusion in the air.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
gotrice?
Enthusiast king

Post by gotrice? »

thanks thats all i needed
I'm Back
isnowi
[P] Plates

Post by isnowi »

So in saying that sigma auto blocks are wide, one would assume that they are the same is a starion block? yes no maybe?

having great difficulty finding a starion block to build a decent motor on top of, if auto sigma is the same then it may be a easier proposition..
cheers
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

SpidersWeb wrote:
gotrice? wrote: The narrow / wide is assuming you are talking the 4G63 engine. The 4G63 engine switched to the narrow block pattern when the engine went FWD configuration - e.g. VR4, Lancer Evolution
AFAIK, all 12 valve 4g63's had the narrow bell housing block, even those fitted to a starion from the factory, as early as 1983. These starions had a hydraulic clutch gearbox, in RWD format ofcourse, that used the narrow bolt pattern. Rare as rocking horse shit now i'd say tho.