OMG.......why has no-one made an adaptor plate for the t/b ?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

OMG.......why has no-one made an adaptor plate for the t/b ?

Post by toysrus »

That's right, after seeing so many pics like this >

I can't believe no one has bothered turning the t/b around 90 or 180 degrees with the help of an adaptor plate.......

If someone is willing to lend me their complete Inlet System (preferably Spare) at their Postage cost both ways, I am willing to give my time for free to work out how to turn the entry around with the person getting the Full-rights to the CAD drawings & details on the 'Bolt-in' procedure. I will work out the Fuel rail issues aswell but try to minimise the modifcations needed to keep things simple and easy :wink:
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

meh, i can fit 2.5" mandrel bends going forwards to the pass side radiator support and still have access to the oil cap, its no big deal.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

cut it just past and weld it

i will be more then willing to work with you to do it to my starion in afew months if u want?
1983 JA Staz
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Chryzla wrote:cut it just past and weld it

i will be more then willing to work with you to do it to my starion in afew months if u want?
Yeah no worries, just PM me when your ready :P
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
DonnVito
I like starions more

Post by DonnVito »

by the way, thats a pretty schmick looking engine bay, whose is it? :wink:
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Jdseed
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

stock tbi already has distribution issues. There is a diverter flap just under the throttle plate, put there for a reason.
Rotating would only make matters worse
BLOFLY
I like starions

Post by BLOFLY »

I considered milling up an adapter plate out of aluminium a while back, but when you really look at the two injector setup and the way the manifold branches at the bottom, you have to wonder if all cylinders will recieve the same air/fuel mix consistently if you rotate the top cap. I'm sure Mitsubishi spent a few dollars experimenting to design what we ended up with.
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

its been done plenty of times before, i've got a technical drawing of an adaptor plate somebody sent me if anybody wants a copy (pm me, i don't check this forum too often), i just haven't got round to setting up my intercooler and rotating my turbo outlet to get everything ready yet so haven't actually built the plate.

the EX2000 lancer crowd (english) usually cut off the inlet and weld it on further round but always seem to have fueling problems with this for some reason, i've never heard of any problems with rotating the whole throttle body though.

here's a pic of one with the rotated ECI unit:

cheers
Matt
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

Mitsubishi had no choice when it came to the mounting of the inlet, for obvious reasons.

they didnt intercool, hence shortest distance possible was to do what they did. nuff said.
1983 JA Staz
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

I was thinking about that, but spoke to someone with some experience and they said doing that would affect the distrubution of the fuel between the intakes and not to touch it unless I wanted to lean odd cylinders out.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

but even the intercooled models had the same throttle body orientation.
No need to guess IF there are distribution problems. Push a stock tbi and you will fry the same piston everytime.... at least on the 2.6s.
Problem is, air can go around bends. Fuel won't.
If you still want to rotate it ? good luck.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

quest wrote:but even the intercooled models had the same throttle body orientation.
No need to guess IF there are distribution problems. Push a stock tbi and you will fry the same piston everytime.... at least on the 2.6s.
Problem is, air can go around bends. Fuel won't.
If you still want to rotate it ? good luck.
Yeah TBI doesn't work. 2,3 run rich, 1 and 4 run lean. Hence my two white spark plugs, and two black spark plugs.

Going in from the front, I imagine, would force fuel to stay more on the far side of the T/B giving 3,4 a richer mix, and 1,2 a leaner one. So no big difference really, but you really want to go MPI if you're wanting more power.

If you just want cleaner piping, Id rotate it 180 degrees, so its closer to the factory setup, and you have only one 90 bend instead of a huge V over the engine.

My 2c anywho.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

A front mount intercooler and associated piping can be fitted quite easily without the need to have funky bends like the one above. Two 90° bends off the t/b and then either a 90° bend will see the piping go to the pass. side of the radiator and through the support easy enough. I used a 90° silicon bend to get a very tight radius bend off the t/b then a 90° bend:

Like CussCuss said, up to 2.5" piping can be accomodated easily enough.

More pics here:
http://www.angelfire.com/emo2/sydneysta ... XTIME.html

EDIT: FIXED.
Last edited by NXTIME on Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

All I can see is a domain name :?