starting problems

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
jameshey_1
I've been here before

starting problems

Post by jameshey_1 »

hey guys ,

i've got a misterious problem starting the starion it will kick over but only stay started for about 1 second before cutting out i've replaced the leads , spark plugs, coil and checked the spark aswell as put new feul in it..... im thinking it might be a feul problem but anyone else got any suggestions ......PLZ HELP!
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

Check the timing, make sure it's all aligned properly
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Certainly could be a fuel problem, but a little more info would help.
When did the problem start, and did anything happen (read: did you fiddle with anything) between when it was running ok and now?
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

no start

Post by Starion VR4 »

Just check 2 C if U have Spark, a common problem is the igniter fails, is it a JB or JA? :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
jameshey_1
I've been here before

Post by jameshey_1 »

ok its a JA and i've checked the fuel is coming into the engine but i dont know weather it has enough pressure or .... but when i took fuel hose off n turn the ignition over heaps of fuel squirts out .... it was working before i took the turbo off to take to the turbo mechanic then when i got it back and put it back on about 3 months later i can't get it to start ..... GRRRR well start properly and i have spark in all 4 leads with brand new spark plugs in the head. i got it to start at one point after putting the turbo back in by clamping the fuel exit line from the engine but it was running pritty rough and now it won't start when i do it again .....
anyone ....??
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Try buying one of those aerosol cans of 'gas', you spray it directly into the throttlebody, if your car has any fuel problems it will start and run off what your spraying into the intake, if it doesn't start.. well it's obviously not a fuel problem :wink:
pro gsr
Big Dorifto

STARTING PROBLEMS

Post by pro gsr »

TRY UN PLUGING YOUR PLUGS IN AND AROUND YOUR AIR FLOW METER, AND PLUGING THEM BACK AGAIN. HAD THIS STARTING PROBLEM WHERE THE CAR DIDN'T WANNA KEY OVER THIS MIGHT HELP
mitsubishi starion jd 1985, factory intercooler,
custom stainless intercooler pipe work,to4 compressor wheel,10 psi boost,boost controller, 2 & half inch exhaust with stainless muffler 4 inch tip, 15 inch mags
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

problems

Post by Starion VR4 »

hey man, where about R U? if in bris. maybe i can have a look at it ? :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

My first thought was a hole in your intake piping.

This would cause air to be sucked in without going via the air flow meter, which means the car wouldn't put in enough fuel which makes it too lean to burn.

When you block the fuel return line, you increase the fuel pressure, which makes the injectors fire way more petrol in than they should, which would counter-act the lean, and make it too rich (rough idle).

I also suggest this because when you change a turbo, you refit the piping, and if its the original rubber stuff between the air can and turbo, its likely that it has ripped and quite possibly leaving a great big hole you may not be able to see without pulling it off.

Just an idea anyway :) Good luck!
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
jameshey_1
I've been here before

Post by jameshey_1 »

yeh also i forgot to add that during the process of removing the turbo i've cut a hole in the factory air box which continues down to the base of the filter. yeh VR4 that would be a massive help im down on the gold coast tho i don't know if u feel like a travel but im down just off the robina exit on the highway.
djalpha
I like starions

Post by djalpha »

hey mate, i'm located not far from miami, give me a buzz on my mobile 0414233460 and i'll come around and have a look.
DJALPHA
jameshey_1
I've been here before

Post by jameshey_1 »

do u have a dark red and silver starion because if so i saw u last saturday and yelled out go the starions to you lol i think its u because i doubt someone else in miami owns a starion
djalpha
I like starions

Post by djalpha »

if you where in a commodore ute (i think) yes that was me. so do you still need a hand?
DJALPHA
jameshey_1
I've been here before

Post by jameshey_1 »

nah it wasn't a ute it was jst a vp sedan umm i still need a hand what are you upto saturday thats sort of my fix the car day ill give you a ring then and see if your avalible ..... cool?
jameshey_1
I've been here before

Post by jameshey_1 »

THANKS for all the help guys car is running problem in the end was the air flow meter not even connected properly cause i didnt even kno that thats wat told the ecu how much fuel to inject