Intake manifolds: Sonata v L300

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.

Intake manifolds: Sonata v L300

Sonata
61%
L300
39%

Total votes: 23

SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Sonata for sure
The throttle facing forward is very important, makes piping a lot easier and means no engine cross or 180 turns.

I like the L300 because its Mitsi, a modified VR4 one (move throttle body to other side) looks the part too with that Cyclone Intercooled Turbo logo.

But Sonata wins. Does anyone have a photo of a Sonata manfiold in a Starion??

Also what model Sonata is this out of exactly, year/model?
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

manifold

Post by Jesusdroveawestfield »

I would say that if you already have an intercooler like my JD then the L300 is a much simpler modification. However if you were starting from scratch I like the way the sonata manifold allows intercooler pipes to go from turbo to front of car, into cooler then exit where battery lives and into the manifold. It is a lot more direct route and I feel allows for larger intercooler pipes. It all depends on how far you are planning on modding. I have no plans to add bigger cooler or go to all the trouble of re routing pipes, making a sonata manifold fit etc. I dont think the power benefits would be worth all the mucking around so the L300 is fine for me. I dont think it is as simple as which one is better I think it depends on a lot of factors.
I wouldnt want to belong to any club that would have me as a member
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

SpidersWeb wrote:Does anyone have a photo of a Sonata manfiold in a Starion??

Also what model Sonata is this out of exactly, year/model?
Hyundai Sonata 1991 2.4L
Here you go:

SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

cookie thats just beautiful.

go the sonata,

nice t/b by the way
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

SpidersWeb wrote:nice t/b by the way
Falcon EF throttle body.
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

I dont really think the size of runners and plenum have much bearing on the power output of a turbo charged engine. Both these manifolds were designed to give small motors some added torque, not to lift the power of the motor, if anything, they reduced it.
Theres no denying both make an easy way to gain the benefits of MPI, but If its high airflow that your after, then both need to be modified. If I was to use one, I would be cutting the runners down to between 120mm and 170mm in length, honing them out to 38mm (if possible) and adding a 3.5lt plenum.
Torque would decrease, but mid to max power would increase. As would throttle lag.
Ford G6ET 458wkws
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

There is a guy here in NZ who makes inlet manifolds, and said the following in a post:

Some say the inlet manifold should be twice the size of the engine, some say it should be the same size, this is how I make them:

<pic of 7 litre inlet manifold>

He was nicknamed the crazy farmer at the last Mitsi drags, but those are some very very high flow inlet manifolds :D Designed for VR4/EVO which means they'll fit Starion if you move the throttle body to the other side. They came standard to fit a 66mm (cant remember what from) throttle or a 70mm Lexus throttle.

Only bastard is that they take up heaps of room being almost 4 times the capacity of the engine.
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

the inlet ports on the twin cams are VERY different to the starion 2lt. no chance of fitting unfortunatly. He may make them for the starion motor though
Ford G6ET 458wkws
Ice Starion
I like starions more

Post by Ice Starion »

will an intake mainfold from a 2ltr sonta fit a starion cuz in Iceland we only have 2ltr i-4 and 3ltr v-6
Birgir Örn

'87 Mitsubushi Starion
4G63 Polished & Ported Cylinder Head
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Where's the pic?

IceStarion,

Yes, the SOHC sonata manifold will fit the Starion head, but the throttle body needs to be move to the other side of the plenum and the thermostat needs to have piping going to the front. You will also need some injectors (VR4 or rx7 turbo are the most convenient and popular) and an aftermarket ecu to control the fuel (and ignition). I am sure that the Sonata manifold guys can post up a pic to show you what the finished product looks like.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

L300 mainfold with custom plenum, XF throttle body. 3.8ltrs in volume, visit
www.pbase.com/image/25238910

ASHLY
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

NXTIME wrote: I am sure that the Sonata manifold guys can post up a pic to show you what the finished product looks like.
Scroll up.. i posted a pic already. :)
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Indeed. I use the short cut method to go to the last unread post so I missed it :)

I will balance things out:

L300: http://www.pbase.com/image/19281775
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

How do you get the turbo so polished up like that. Im doing it with mine manually with various grades of sandpaper, its working but taking ages. Is there some magical shortcut I should know about?
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Heres a pic of my sonata setup.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~bmai88/mypic1.JPG

I think each manifold has their advantages and disadvantages, the sonata ones being forward facing has the advantage of less cooler pipework and being able to use any tb. the disadvantage is it costs more having to move the tb, thermo etc. The l300 manifold should be easier to install but will require a maze of piping (if the turbo outlet is facing the engine). I am not sure if either is more power productive than the other as they are similar in design with long runners (is the sonata's plenum bigger than the l300?). In the end i think the l300 would be the better option as it would be cheaper to do, while not being any less power productive than the sonata one.

Thats a nice manifold barney, whats the gauge next to the manifold, is it fuel pressure?