Need info on 1987 mitsubishi van.

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
airbats801
Enthusiast

Need info on 1987 mitsubishi van.

Post by airbats801 »

Alright guys, in the states they had these mitsubishi vans, and I cant find jack for informaiton on them because they were not popular at all. I know they at least came with the 4g64 wideblock "can we say dohc turbo? :)"

Anyways, I think all we got were automatic versions. I wanted to know if you guys had manual transmission versions of them. Because I would love to swap a manual transmission into one, and toss my 18g on a dohc/built 4g64 rwd van :)

Here is one of the few pics I could find of one from the states.

'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
SOWTZ
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by SOWTZ »

not sure if we got them in manual, have to check.
try checking out www.carsales.com.au www.carpoint.com.au www.autotrader.com.au www.carsguide.com.au
they might have some usefull info'
I have a car. I use it to drive to work, to drive to work I need petrol, petrol cost money, I must work to make this money… it’s a vicious cycle!
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Ahh the Mitsubishi Express L300/Starwagon.

Express (L300) is the commercial van version. Starwagon is the seven seater family version.

Model numbers were SF, SG, SH and were built between 1987 and 1994.

You could choose between a 2 litre (4G63) or 2.4 litre (4G64) petrol engines and could be had in 2wd or 4wd. You could get them in 5spd or Auto.

There's a few models listed on this webpage:
http://www.oriental4wd.com.au/mitsubishi.htm
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

Looks like I need to start throwing out some money for someone to grab me a manual conversion. Wonder if they used the k124 transmission from the starion or trucks, or whatever the code is.

I'll probably need, pedal assembly, master cylinder, shifter and linkage.

I'm looking into 2 of them locally right now. one is only 100 bucks... Doesnt rubn, but if the body is good, im gonna jump on it :)

I guess if there is any crazy australian mitsubishi van forum out there, I can get a link from you guys, and try there.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

I notice american mitsi's have big bumpers (e39 vr4 etc)
Entaran
I love starions

Post by Entaran »

So do the aussie ones.

It's the jap bumpers that don't, as in japan they didnt' need those massive crash protector bars that weigh LITERALLY 25kg each. (A big thick hunk of steel across the front and back).

The ASPEC/USDM spec front bars make good park benches. We use them when we go on cruses.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

There have been a few Mitsu vans here with turbo conversion, both SOHC and DOHC. I recall a certain green L300 that had a VR4/EVO engine conversion. Went pretty good for a brick.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

Well, Iam going to take a look at this one up in seattle tomorrow. They want 100 bucks for one with a blown hg. He says the body and interior are in good shape. Hell I cant beat that. As long as the bottom end is good, it should be an easy fix.

The van is even the same color as the one I posted above. I'm pretty dang excited, my subaru legacy wagon is on its last feet and I dont want to drop any money in it. This shoiuld make qa good replacement :)
80's Hero
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

Come on guys, One of you has to have some junkyard connections ;)
80's Hero
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

What info do you want that hasn't already been posted? We got both manual and auto versions. The Starion box will bolt up to them.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
androoz
Enthusiast

Post by androoz »

i think he wants a manual gearbox for it if he gets one..
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Just re-read it. He is after manual conversion parts.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

I am, but no big hurry now, the van went to look at was quite misadvertized... Oh well. Back to my 1jz swap it is :)
80's Hero
jasevr4
Newcomer

Post by jasevr4 »

I'm actually pretty interested in this myself.

I need a van to cart my bikes around, and I already have a VR4, so a L300 is a natural progression...

Whats the best way to do the conversion? I've been told to get the 2.4L L300, then just use VR4 parts to turbo it (as per http://4g64.150m.com/turbo2.html)
4G63T Exhaust Manifold (Ported 2g Preferred)
4G63T O2 Sensor Housing (Ported 2g Preferred)
4G63T Downpipe - 2G FWD (aftermarket or custom 2.5" - 3" preferred)
A Turbo (duh!) - 14b, Small 16G, or other. Avoid the stock 2G T25! (16G variant (small, big, EVOIII) preferred)
High-Flow air filter & MAS Adaptor
Intake Pipe from MAS to Turbo (stock 2G OK, aftermarket better)
Intercooler - Stock 2G SMIC OK, FMIC better. NOTE: Stock 2G Intercooler won't fit on a 1996 model without moving the Washer bottle.
Intercooler Piping from turbo to intercooler & intercooler to throttle body (custom connector needed for stock throttle body connection).
Blow off valve (BOV) - 1G is fine
Boost Gauge
EGT Gauge <-- Yes, it's a MUST HAVE
Gauge Mounting (A-Pillar and/or Gauge cluster bezel trim or other)
Gasket: Head to Exhaust Manifold
Gasket: Turbo to Exhaust Manifold
Gasket: O2 Housing to Turbo
Gasket: O2 Housing to downpipe
Spark Plugs: NGK BKR7E (NGK's part number 6097) <-these are 2 heat ranges cooler
Misc Nuts, Bolts, Washers, hose clamps, etc.
Turbo oil Supply Line (Stainless braided preferred)
Turbo oil return Line from a stock 2G setup
2G turbo oil pan (or somehow mount the turbo oil return on your stock oil pan)
Turbo water lines (feed & return) + rubber coolant hose to connect to engine.
Higher flow Fuel Pump (Walbro 190lph is plenty)
Bigger Injectors (Stock 4G63T 450cc Injectors OK with turbo car resistor pack wired in)
Apex-i S-AFC
OBD-II Datalogger
But then I realised that there may be a DOHC version of the 4G64 too, and that this information probably isn't relevant, right?

Is there any easy way to have a van with some boot? :D

Cheers fellas.
SOWTZ
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by SOWTZ »

Vans already have big boots :P
why not just find an old Bedford van, auto 308ci V8 looks sweet as, most are cheap and need a bit of work.
I have a car. I use it to drive to work, to drive to work I need petrol, petrol cost money, I must work to make this money… it’s a vicious cycle!