Injector help plz!!!

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Zero Hour
[L] Plates

Injector help plz!!!

Post by Zero Hour »

Hi everyone.....I'm new here. I have an 1982 JA starion which I got a couple of years ago. Anyways to cut to the chase its been runnin a little rough and then stopped and wouldn't even start. We checked out all the ignition and concluded that it was getting a spark ok and the timing was fine so we looked at the fuel system.

It's getting fuel ok but when we pulled the injectors out they looked totally crap & rusted and we found one of them is sticking open....yep not good. :x

So i know that I need sum replacement injectors.....can anyone make any suggestions or help out?

ps: I'm glad I found this forum cause I have heaps of questions and chasin a few bits and pieces and I find it impossible to get help with this car.....I guess everyone on heres been there yeah??

Cheers everyone.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Welcome to Austarion, and ask as much as you want :) You might find a few answers using the Search, so have a look in there too.

You could try running carb cleaner or similar through them, see if it frees them up.

Failing that, from what I have heard, new injectors for a Starion (particularly of that age) are crazy expensive. Best bet is probably to find someone on here or go to a wrecker and try to get a replacement top-hat with good injectors, and swap them over. Thats probably the less-stress option.

Rust sounds strange to me, as there should not be an water or moisture sitting on them, and the fuel itself should assist with keeping them free of debris also.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Zero Hour
[L] Plates

Post by Zero Hour »

Thanx SpidersWeb.....yeah not actually in the injectors just on the outside and yeah we tried to clear them out but this one is still sticking open. Wot do u mean by getting a replacement top-hat?? I struggle to find any wreckers around Melbourne who has any parts (so if anyone on here from melbourne can help me out that would be great).

Also my boost-gauge is not working and im guessing this might be the fault of the vacuum sensor(which I think is the little box above the brake m/cylinder on the firewall???)....has anyone got any clues on this one? I'd rather not buy a different new guage.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Hi. Welcome to the boards.

For your injector problems have a look at this:
http://blackice.com.au/starion/injec.htm

For your boost gauge problem have a look at this:
http://blackice.com.au/starion/boost.htm

Both great articles by our resident electronics guru Dave Kitson.
Zero Hour
[L] Plates

Post by Zero Hour »

:) ....cool. Those links are a great help.

I recently had to fix the air duct that goes from the air filter box to the front of the turbo because it had just had it and had split due to wear n tear. Couldn't find a decent one anywhere so we did a repare job that worked out real well + cheap. I guess this is a common prob. for those who have the original intake system + turbo but is it worth posting up an easy fix or do most peeps not have any problem with this?
BLOFLY
I like starions

Post by BLOFLY »

A lot of people have problems with the turbo/airbox intake pipe breaking, I spose generally due to the rubber hardening from heat over time, and then braking when flexed to change the air filter. Best bet is to undo it at the airbox where there is more flex first, then undo the turbo end, but be as gentle as possible. Other option I spose would be to fabricate one out of piping and use silicone adapters to mate it to the turbo and airbox. With the other parts you require post a wanted to buy and you should find someone who has gone multipoint and has these for sale, otherwise in a few weeks I will hopefully have these parts up for grabs. Also the top hat is the part with "ECI" cast on it, encases the injectors and fuel pressure reg, and if you have problems with your boost gauge it indicates that there may be a problem with your MAP sensor(box near brake booster on firewall) and this will probably cause the computer to supply the incorrect amount of fuel. best of luck :)
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Zero Hour wrote:...but is it worth posting up an easy fix or do most peeps not have any problem with this?
It's always worthwhile posting a fix, whatever it's for.

Do it. Now. :wink:
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Zero Hour wrote::) ....cool. Those links are a great help.

I recently had to fix the air duct that goes from the air filter box to the front of the turbo because it had just had it and had split due to wear n tear. Couldn't find a decent one anywhere so we did a repare job that worked out real well + cheap. I guess this is a common prob. for those who have the original intake system + turbo but is it worth posting up an easy fix or do most peeps not have any problem with this?
Alspos has already done a piece on this..
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~gillyfish/html/inlet.htm
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

JA injecters

Post by Starion VR4 »

If you need JA or JB injecters, iI have 2xJA sets, & 1X JB set soon.

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.