Best Gearbox Oil To Use

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

Here, Try our lube guide www.datateck.com.au/lube/fuchs_au/

ASHLY
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Are there any bad consequences in putting in to much oil into the gearbox? say 2.5liters.. even 3?
Abalistic
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Abalistic »

I'm not into magic fixes that you can buy in a tube, but I was wrong about the Nulon G70, it really made a difference.
A.
JA 4g63Dash To4 Intercooled Wolf 3dv4
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

I accidently overfilled my gearbox once, by filling it through the speedo sender instead of the proper fill hole, and that made it crunch worse then before with the probably still factory gearbox oil. But I haven't driven it for more then 10 minutes since I filled it the proper level, so I don't know if that fixed it or not.

Another Cordia person I know puts his gearbox housing exploding down to overfilling the gearbox oil, weather its true or not I don't know.

If you fill it through the intended filling hole it's impossible to overfill it because it will just leak back out of the hole, for a Cordia anyway, probably same for Starion?
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

The starion has a small bolt in the side of it's gearbox housing, when this starts to slowly overflow it indicates it is full. I put my gearbox oil in through the actual gearstick with the gland plate off. When it reaches the bolt mark it's supposed to be full, thing is cookie said 2.3 and I only put in 2, just wondering if I filled it a bit more could it harm the gearbox?

I'm struggling to understand how lubricant can make your gearbox blow up.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Along this thread, i have a mate with *filled* his engine up with oil... right to the top. Heh. Didn't last to long after that supprisingly.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Full !!!!
hehe there'd be a lot of drag on the crankshaft as it swam under oil, no supprise it didnt last long, crank shaft aint sposed to touch the oil in the pan.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

i think the easyest way to do it is take out the side bolt then fill it from the shifter hole if you have been mucking round with the gearbox ie have the shifter off already. Just stop when it starts coming out the hole, easy.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

CussCuss wrote:i think the easyest way to do it is take out the side bolt then fill it from the shifter hole if you have been mucking round with the gearbox ie have the shifter off already. Just stop when it starts coming out the hole, easy.
StazzyBabyYeah wrote:The starion has a small bolt in the side of it's gearbox housing, when this starts to slowly overflow it indicates it is full. I put my gearbox oil in through the actual gearstick with the gland plate off. When it reaches the bolt mark it's supposed to be full
Remarkable how similar they are :P