A question for those who have forge pistons

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

I dont mean to imply that there is cheating going on with Mr.Shep.
Im just telling things that happen in motor racing. Even HRT cheats...! So did Dick when he won the Shell series in the sierra. Its a matter of geting caught out, but these guys have alot on the line.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

It's not cheating, is interpreting the rules from a different perspective.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

There was an interview with Jim Richards in a magazine a little while ago, said he had an adjustable boost valve hidden behind a vent in his Godzilla GTR. Wind up boost, close vent, qualify, wind boost back, close vent, scrutineer. Also heard about engine bay fire extinguisher spraying onto intercooler. Just happenend to have enough gas to run out just before the start finish line. Nifty tricks....
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

4g6beat wrote:
The Evo 1-3 valves and Galant VR4 valves should be the same or close enough to not matter.
does this mean i could use vr4 rods and pistons on the single cam head? as i've got a spare set lying around in my garage and i'm having my engine out soon. would be good to be able to handle a little more boost than the std pistons & rods.
sorry to interrupt the current thread (there was a great interview with gibson a while back in zoom funny stuff) but does anyone have an answer for the above because i'm pretty close to point of deciding whether or not to try vr4 rods and pistons.

thanks guys :)
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Yes.
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

so does it work mr flav ;) nudge nudge
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Yes, works well to 7000rpm and 15psi so far.
Fuel
Enthusiast

Post by Fuel »

flav wrote:Yes, works well to 7000rpm and 15psi so far.
In which starion?
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

A nice red one that comes through here sometimes. I dont think he would want anyone to know about his mods, but if he wants to tell im sure he will. We dont see him on the forum anymore though.
Fuel
Enthusiast

Post by Fuel »

So you used VR4 pistons with the 4 valve reliefs, with the single cam head?

I assume the valves would then be able to hit the pistons if the timing belt breaks...
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

yay! thanks mr flav! will be using them when i freshen up the old engine any rings you'd recommend for use as i have to get a new set.

:)
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Fuel wrote:So you used VR4 pistons with the 4 valve reliefs, with the single cam head?

I assume the valves would then be able to hit the pistons if the timing belt breaks...
I want to know this also. I'm doing a rebuild soon and I dont really want to spend the money on a forged engine, but using VR4 components if possible would be fantastic.

I dont expect my cambelt to snap, as I'm having a new one fitted.

Extra questions - do you need an aftermarket computer and/or adjustable timing or anything additional? As far as I know, the VR4 compression ratio is the same.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

on drive.com.au they are listed as having a compression ratio of 7.8:1, compared to 7.6:1 for a staz:
http://www.drive.com.au/buy/market_valu ... y=4D+SEDAN
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Yeah but I didnt see 7.6 vs 7.8 as being a big change. Basically the same. But its not 8.5 or anything too much higher.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

I would hope that we all use new timing belts building engines...They last for ages if you have no oil leaks at the front and are very easy to change when the time comes. Otherwise bent vavles may be an issue, but most na engines are in this category anyway, so look after your engine...and belt! They seem ton last well into 100,000kms, but we change them more often than that. They are a cheap part to replace.