6g72tt into staz

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
4g6beat
I love starions

6g72tt into staz

Post by 4g6beat »

Anyone completed or know about this conversion?
I'm interested, Is there any rwd gearbox that'll bolt up to this thing (pajero maybe>)
This'd be pretty cool even though these engines are tough to mod properly still you would'nt need to in a staz power to weight would make it fly :)
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

I know of one that was fitted into a Sigma (similar engine bays) and it fit in fairly easy as far as conversions go. However, it was mated to a 2 speed powerglide.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
pcuser51
I like starions

Post by pcuser51 »

:) Whats a 6g72tt :?
CHEERS ALAN
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

hmm,
powerglides are great and definitely the go for drag but i was wondering what manual transmission combo would mate to the engine anyone find anything cos i can't find any info
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

sorry for not answering your question pcuser,
6g72tt is the twin turbo used in mitsubishi gtos/3000gt they're a beatifull engine just in a notoriously heavy chasis and they're basically slightly more powerfull and torquey than a gtr. It's a twinturbo v6 30ltr sorta similar to the magna v6's (verada) oh yeah it was also 4wd.

niiiiiceeeee engine to use if you can find a gearbox.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

That would be the hardest part. Maybe a Supra (tubro) box with bellhousing adaptor.

This conversion won't be cheap though as engine alone will cost 4K if you can find one.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
evogalant
I like starions

Post by evogalant »

Is the twin turbo engine they use in the new (well late 90's) Galants the same engine? I think i heard somewhere they are actually smaller than the ones used in the gto's but i could be wrong.

Although getting that engine would probably be harder than getting the gto engine as i think these Galants are rare even in Japan. Theres one here in adelaide for sale for more tha 40gs and was brought in as a private import.
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

yeah the later model vr4s have a similar engine but it's a 2.5 design is almost identicaleevn down to the twin intercooler setup i think the turbos are the same an the engine number is a 6a13 or something like that it's pretty rare i don't like anyones chances of finding one cheaply but then when has anything mitsubish ever been cheap (stock lancers and mirages excluded of course hehehehe):)
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

Im sure i remember something about this conversion being done quite a while back, but as far as i know it flipped at a race track (too much power)

Could be a load of crap but thats what someone told me... i guess it's doable

Steve.
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

It's a twinturbo v6 30ltr
Hehe thats a big engine huh must use a bit of fuel and need a daiken air con plumbed into the turbos hehe j/k

But if you are seriously after answers re: which box for that motor in a Staz email this guy phil@incaraudio.com.au (Phillip) he is doing this very conversion in a staz :)

Cheers
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Apart from finding a gearbox to mate up to the awd layout of the engine (ie, east-west), you will need to re-route the thermo outlet to the front, as well as move the throttle body to the other side of the plenum (similar mods to the VR4 engine in a Starion). The back of the engine is tricky as the gearbox has an indent in the middle to make room for the thermo outlet and piping.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Abalistic
Mine is bigger than yours

Tritons have the same motor

Post by Abalistic »

My Triton 4wd has a 6g72 v6 in it, non turbo. It's a nice compact v6 putting out 134kw. A twin turbo version would be fantastic in a Starion. The bell housing on it looks identical to a KM34 gearbox in a Starion.

A.
JA 4g63Dash To4 Intercooled Wolf 3dv4
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

The Starion has a KM132 gearbox in it.
Twin turbo GTO/3000GT conversion has been done in a Starion.
The car no longer exists. Apparently, the downforce was insufficient at the front of the car to cope with the speed down the straight at Barbagallo raceway here in WA. Consequently, it ended up on it's roof.

Bottom line; if you plan to put big power in your Staz, then make sure that you sort out the aerodynamics too!
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

Speaking of Which I am fabricating aluminium canards and aero rear splitters for the starion, will let you know how i go :)
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

Thats nuts!!
makes you wonder what the hell was done to that engine :)

I though the starion shape would lend itself to having good downforce unless of course the car in question had a standard ja,jb front bumper i know high winds can get under them pretty easy.

By the way the latest zoom (front few pages) has engine prices for the 2.5 galant/legnum engine 3500$ kind of makes you think about whether you should go for that or the twin cam eh :)