I'm losing faith in Starions. I think it's time to give up.

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

scan it up dude, i wanna read that article...
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Re: I'm losing faith in Starions. I think it's time to give

Post by TD05 »

dirty sanchez wrote:
mrb1 wrote: Maybe the lesson here is it's not a good car to own if you can't do the mechanical work yourself

Starions just aren't that fast - this is completely true. A 1982 factory starion made 125kw when a 6cyl falcon made about 90kw, back then they were really fast. A standard falcon today makes 182kw (about the same as a late 90s HSV clubsport)
yes true but a XR8 is 1797 kg, nearly 600Kg!!! more than the stazz, mate, the stazz will outhandle a XR8 anyday, and a boosted one prolly keep up with it too...

A clubsport followed me on Bruce H'way, and caught up but I lost him when we got off the highway and into the roundabouts, he'd brake hard and I just powered on&off, he eventually caught up at the lights, the guy gave me the thumbs up, in straight line green light however is a different story... but then the stazz is a tourer not a drag car...... :beer
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

I've owned about 3 starions over the past couple years, I owned a couple of sports cars prior to that, and man nothing compares to the way the starion can handle compared to what I've driven, I also found it to be the most reliable car I had owned, nothing mechanically broke down, only a couple electrical faults (it's a starion after all) but just after a year of owning it I crashed it and bought another eventually.

I bought a sigma briefly in between just to get me from A to B and it just didn't feel right, whenever I'd pull up anywhere or start my car for some reason I felt like a dick, don't know why but I just regretted not buying another starion.

My second starion had the TC-06 turbo running 13psi of boost and some serious handling mods, although my second one was like what you describe, 'problematic', slow off the mark etc it was still an awesome car, on the highway where the TC06 really begins to state it's territory was the best of all times, if I followed someone in 3rd whilst doing 100 they'd hear my BOV and look in the rear view and just let me rip past. Unfortunatley after finding a small patch of rust.. it turned out to be the whole left hand pan plus other structual bits, so the car was stuffed at it's best.

Now I've got my third beast and am more than happy with it, I think you have had a bad start with starions, let alone having to pay for someone else to service it is bad enough. Personally I think there the best thing since sliced bread, it just sounds like you had a lemon of a starion. They can be relavtivley easy to make quick by todays standards, it just takes time and money like everyone else said. Plus nothing beats the looks u get :D apart from when people call your car a cordia :x I've been down the same road and almost given up on starions but trust me it's not worth it.
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

I own alot of cars, the Staz is by far up the top along with the 300zxtt. Probs is you can have a good staz or you can have a shit staz. You can throw alot of money at a shit staz and it will always be shit because the money is spent in all the wrong places. We see it all the time here. A good Staz is a great car. You just need to find a very good mechanic and someone who knows where a staz can be improved. Then your not chasing and hoping that this mod and that mod will give outcomes that either dont exist or are not supported by the software and hardware they run. The bets staz i ever owned cost me $2500. The worst mod you can do is change to bigger wheels. You need to keep the profile down on a staz and they will accelerate very well. As soon as you up it you get a wiiiide powerband but at the expense of acceleration and its just so fkn slooowwwww.....
Oscar-the-Grouch
I love starions

Post by Oscar-the-Grouch »

One thought !

Dont sell your Staz man... Buy another one to drive while the first one is getting fixed ! OR get TWO more and that way you WILL be covered no matter what.

I dont know who the hell will have three Starions just because of reliability issues ?

No one is that stupid ! =) :D :beer
LSD & US Parts GUY
ImageImageImage
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

rofl
Not me, I only have 2
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

Post by tmz_99 »

Alspos wrote:rofl
Not me, I only have 2
I think 2 is a reasonable number :) :)
---------
TVR T350C
HWYSTR
I like starions

Post by HWYSTR »

god i wasted $1,700 on a rusty piece of crap which i regret buying,, i could get it road worthy but tires and starter needs fixing,, so kinda costly ( thats what i can see..) rust seems to be in order, (im also progressing with putting the front 1/4 back together)

and now my $1,600 auto has just melted the tourqe converter ( all things point too so its a guess) think im drifting up shit creek and my paddles falling apart....)
Matt
Dorifto!

Post by Matt »

They keep fucking up cause they are old and i dont know what mods u got but its not that much to put multi on, its the eletrics but my mate just got it done and its quick very fucking quick or just do the twin cam convo