sirius dash, how tough?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
isnowi
[P] Plates

sirius dash, how tough?

Post by isnowi »

Hi there, what is the general feeling on the strenght of the sirius dash bottom end? (is it any different than a normal sirius?) also i've tried searching but not yeilded any useful info as to whether vr4 rods are compatible or for that matter worthwhile to put into a sirius block with the intention of building a (very) strong dohc motor.

at this stafe i have an N/A dohc motor but am looking for future options.
nashstyle
I've been here before

Post by nashstyle »

AFAIK the DASH engine is a normal SOHC 4g63 with a 12 valve head, thats the only difference. And yeh I think VR4 rods (and pistons for that matter) will fit any 2L SOHC...they are far stronger too.
I liek to flutter.
gotrice?
Enthusiast king

Post by gotrice? »

yeh I think VR4 rods (and pistons for that matter) will fit any 2L SOHC
Okay has any one done this and can back it up?
I'm Back
isnowi
[P] Plates

Post by isnowi »

Thats what i want to know as well. at this stage my plan consists of: balance std dash crankshaft, vr4 rods, forged slugs, DOHC N/A head, big mother turbo (dunno what yet, open to suggestions) external WG yadda, yadda, yadda. you get the idea anyway..
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

gotrice? wrote:
yeh I think VR4 rods (and pistons for that matter) will fit any 2L SOHC
Okay has any one done this and can back it up?
VR4 Rods 99.9% certain, would need VR4 rod to sample any weight/metalugical differences, but looking like DASH Pistons until I have a VR4 Piston to double check from what I can tell going by photo's, they are two different pistons.
isnowi
[P] Plates

Post by isnowi »

theyre def different pistons, dash has 3 valve releifs, vr4 has 4, i am interested in the sizes of the wrist pins and also bearing journals, if they are the same then its a straight swapover job if not then things get hairy..
Abalistic
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Abalistic »

A DASH motor has forged pistons too. :drool:
JA 4g63Dash To4 Intercooled Wolf 3dv4
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Guys I'm fairly certain a DASH engine is very similar, if not the same as a 4G63 VR-4 16 valve bottom end. It sounds daft I know, but the pistons have indents for FOUR valves. The DASH engine was pretty much an R&D engine for the 16 valve VR-4 engine. The internals are somewhat strengthened to allow it to run the 12~14psi factory boost it does.
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

These are a brilliant engine. Thats what i have in my Starion, on 15 psi and 7000rpm cut. I cant get enough of these engines and the bottom ends dont need to be changed at all. These babys with a TC06 and T3 wheel are a weapon.
They do need an adaptor plate for the staz box however.
isnowi
[P] Plates

Post by isnowi »

has the dash got the girdles accross the bottom of th crankshaft from no1 main to no2 main and from no4 main to number 5 main? also does anyone have the size of the big ends and also the wrist pins.

vr4 sizes:big end OD 45mm

wrist pin OD 21mm

note these are factory sizes as specced in chiltons.
85_cordia_gsr
Lil' Dorifto

Post by 85_cordia_gsr »

i have a DASH motor in my cordia, fitted with VR4 rods, VR4 RS pistons, full rebuild. main thing i dont like is on 13psi it was making peak power at 5200rpm :oops: it is running very rich (got to 10.8 afr before backing off at 5500rpm). would this just mean i need a bigger turbo and more boost? (and a tune to sort out the richness obviously, running microtech ecu).
cyas
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

Post by tmz_99 »

85_cordia_gsr wrote:i have a DASH motor in my cordia, fitted with VR4 rods, VR4 RS pistons, full rebuild. main thing i dont like is on 13psi it was making peak power at 5200rpm :oops: it is running very rich (got to 10.8 afr before backing off at 5500rpm). would this just mean i need a bigger turbo and more boost? (and a tune to sort out the richness obviously, running microtech ecu).
cyas
get an aftermarket engine management system and tune it.
---------
TVR T350C
85_cordia_gsr
Lil' Dorifto

Post by 85_cordia_gsr »

ive got a microtech mt-8 already.. jus needs a tune.. made 117kw@13psi in current tune....very rich.. :oops:
isnowi
[P] Plates

Post by isnowi »

did you build the motor in your cordia? were the rods bolt on ? or did you have to do sopme machining?
85_cordia_gsr
Lil' Dorifto

Post by 85_cordia_gsr »

the rods were bolt on, exactly the same :)