98 in NZ

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

98 in NZ

Post by Junkers »

What's the big fuss and is it worth it?
Claims it can clean up to 61% of intake deposits.

http://www.bpultimate.co.nz/dispatch/index.html
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Some thoughts About 98 Octane fuels.

My experiances:

Its a good excuse to bump up the price by a good 10 cents a liter basically it has an added injector cleaner as well as a higher octane rating.
I used to run my car on 98 octane like that before it became a daily driver and before it cost more than 98 cents a liter.
mobile also do a 98 octane called synergy 8000, it also has added detergents but with a slightly lower cost associated,
so do shell but ive never seen it at the servo its called heilix.

Is it worth it, car seems to run better with a fuel that has a octane rating closer to what it was designed for (97) but there shouldnt be any harm in running a normal fuel. If your after a slight increase in responsivness go for it, but if your using the car daily, probably wouldnt bother unless your running something like high boost / compression or modifications that demand a higher grade fuel. I find that MY car tends to rev out more and not loose power as early when I use a higher octane over standard unleaded.

there was a segment on the performance gains of different octane rated fuels on TV a week or so ago but I missed it :(

My thoughts:

98 octane also claim to be cleaner burning, if this was so then you'd think someone would put down the price to encourage it's use.

If there were really lower emissions out of 98 octane, out turbos would be lagging more, experienced nothing of the sort.

Its supposed to make a car more fuel efficient I doubt this as the fuel injectors dont know its a 98 octane and would most likley pump in the exact same amount unless the managment system was told otherwise.
In theory you could possibly get bettery economy by spending less time on the accelerator as the 98 should increase your acceleration time slightly.

At these petrol prices I just run standard unleaded (91 octane) even at 10psi, if you have your car set up correctly its not always necissary to run high octane.
high compression engines would probably make a larger benifit from such a fuel and would be a good safety measure when running higher boost.

As I said just some thoughts, anyones welcome to put in their 2 cents on the matter as far as i'm concerned. im sure there will be much disagrement.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
AXELR8
I love starions

Post by AXELR8 »

I run 98 as i don't like the risk of killing the motor due to detonation. Probably more to do with my set-up though. I could run 92 octane, but would probably have to de-tune the thing so i wouldn't kill it!
You think that's fast??? You got nothin' on Roger!!
bigmoz
Enthusiast king

Post by bigmoz »

i get about 50 more km out of a tank of 98 octain the standard 92 so i think for the extra 7-8 bucks it casts to fill up its worth it and if it makes the car run better ill be happy with that to

bigmoz :pimp
85 JB, forged, larger valves, ported and polished microtech, sonata mpi, td06 20g, intercooler, willwood brakes, koni suspention, 3.9LSD and more shit i cant remember

82 JA, blueprint SIRUS 4g63, dumped and a cooler 17's, exhaust... DEAD :(
big moz (chopyou@hotmail.com)
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

regular unleaded + boost + hot day = detonation, read broken rings, pistons etc, not worth it, don't be a tight ass....... for a few extra cents your using the fuel the engineers designed the car to run on....
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

im on a very tight budget, no job, TAFE student and no aus-study.
and $35 unleaded a week sometimes dosnt make ends meet.
(but hey im not complaining)
Weather is at an all time cold at the moment so not risking detonation and if you want to get past that , richen the mixture a bit.
All good M8

Dallas
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

hey, sorry I was a bit harsh, ok, if you must run the low octane stuff, retard the timing a bit, just to keep things together.. :D
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

i've been running my car on 91, retarded the timing to suit. after a talk with a rally guy i know (runs an EX2000 type lancer with link, antilag, 250 rwhp) i'm pretty much convinced that its worth the extra $ for 98.

i think i'll change over as soon as i've emptied this tank, could be a while though, still waiting on money for front struts and the cert.

cheers
Matt
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D