Power Steering Question

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Yes I think so.. after a few seconds, also try turning the wheel into a lock without the engine on, it's near impossible depending on what tyres you have.
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

bazeng wrote:nah, i have to decide:
reasons:

- no water pump pulley (davis craig pump)
the powersteering comes off the water pump pulley.. so basically the pulley will have to be lined up by making a new bracket or a custom pulley

- cleaner bay
- less weight

basically this is a drag car.. but i will want to race it on the track in the future..

so i need to know if turning is okay..

as for looping.. i've been told by a person in the states that has done it to their eclipse.. and he claims that his wife who is 5"6 can drive it.. (in other words.. not hard to drive at all)..

i just want to decide before the engine goes in.. it'll be much easier for me to loop the lines / remove the lines before the motor gets dropped in thats all..

any other opinions?

as for the ratio.. how does it work?
non power steering rack vs power steering rack?

does this mean if i turn the steering wheel one revolution on a power steering rack.. the front wheels will turn less than a non power steering rack would?

would i be able to simulate this by driving, switching the engine off and steering?.. would this be realistic??
FFS man, do you beleive everything you're told? An eclipse is NOT an E39A. Even though they may be similar. Manual steering racks usually take more turns of the steering wheel to move the wheel the same amount a power steering rack would, so it has different ratios to aid the driver.

Yes, you can simulate this by turning the engine off while driving and trying to turn the wheel. Exactly the same is acheived by simply just taking the power steering belt off. Like I told you a few times already, it's not going to be like a manual steering rack.

*bangs head on wall*.
bazeng
I like starions

Post by bazeng »

FFS man, do you beleive everything you're told? An eclipse is NOT an E39A. Even though they may be similar. Manual steering racks usually take more turns of the steering wheel to move the wheel the same amount a power steering rack would, so it has different ratios to aid the driver.

Yes, you can simulate this by turning the engine off while driving and trying to turn the wheel. Exactly the same is acheived by simply just taking the power steering belt off. Like I told you a few times already, it's not going to be like a manual steering rack.

*bangs head on wall*.
sorry to cause you so much frustration mr dirtygalant, but if thats the case.. i dont really think its that hard at all.. i guess ill be scrapping the power steering.. i've had responses saying it should be fine.. as for eclipse not being a galant.. that may be true.. but they are the same drivetrain / engine (1g DSM)..

thanks for the responses guys!..
fil
I've been here before

Post by fil »

I have no power steer on my starion as when it started to leak i didnt have the money to fix it so i removed it. Its hard to get used to and deffently harder steering than my bros xf ute ( no pwr) and my old sierra also no power. I will be looking at replacing it in the future.
As for the belt situation could you simply gut the water pump and leave the pully there. Otherwise just use a davies criag boster pump.
Starions: The wedge with the edge !
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

sorry to cause you so much frustration mr dirtygalant, but if thats the case.. i dont really think its that hard at all.. i guess ill be scrapping the power steering.. i've had responses saying it should be fine.. as for eclipse not being a galant.. that may be true.. but they are the same drivetrain / engine (1g DSM)..

thanks for the responses guys!..
If you scrap it, you really want the non-power assisted box. I ran out of fuel just as I pulled up my driveway one day, so rolled the car down in to position, I had to make a 90 degree turn and wasnt able to do it, had to use the starter motor to run the pump. fil said just here that he got used to it, but personally Id hate it. You can try it by getting on a hill, stop, cut the engine and roll, then try and turn.

The J-spec GSR-I has a factory non-assisted box too btw.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

I've owned a J-spec GSR-I with no power steering, I now own a starion which does have power steering.
The difference between a starion with a proper non power assisted steering and a starion with power steering is quite a bit (when the power steering belt isn't connected), I doubt you will manage parking let alone the pain of driving everyday.
bazeng
I like starions

Post by bazeng »

found a solution!!!

MR2 Electric power steering pump!!!

ill be installing this into my car =)

allows me to get rid of the pulley / belt
also remove the drain from the crank
and allows me to drive in comfort!