Car Batteries

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

wow, you sure its not the Exide Marine Battery/ Optima copy ?

Or should I ask how big is this thing ? :D
GADGET
I love starions

Post by GADGET »

WHOOOPS nah it only a 450.

I was thinkinig of some stuff at work I think.
I bared the cold for that so leave me alone.
TEAM SR: we brake for 1Jz's!
have u been roasted lately?
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

hehe was a little suprised a 'Home' brand Battery could be so good :D

Have you atleast fixed your bracket for the alternator yet ?
GADGET
I love starions

Post by GADGET »

The alternator bracket wasn't broken.

Insert thinking music.....

a pause....
music start again......

It was the power steering bracket. Very dodgy install by previous owner. Yeah all sorted, wastegate sorted. Very happy with car.
TEAM SR: we brake for 1Jz's!
have u been roasted lately?
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Ah yes thats right, the PS bracket, on less thing for you to have to fix in the future now hey :P
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I'm actually in the process of fabricating a new battery tray (due to intercooler piping :D )

I was going to get an Odyssey PC680 (245CCA) $230
L 200mm x W 80mm H 200mm

But I'm leaning toward a Century NS40 (360CCA) $90
L 195mm x W 128mm H 220mm

More amps, cheaper but slightly bigger...

I just hope it will fit!!! :?
1985 JB Starion #157
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

my brother had a 750cca that was only 120x210, it was a marine??? battery i think. took a while to find it but he had the 'ol IC in battery tray trick to. i hope the lack of hard info pisses someone off. cya :D
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

scum wrote:my brother had a 750cca that was only 120x210, it was a marine??? battery i think. took a while to find it but he had the 'ol IC in battery tray trick to. i hope the lack of hard info pisses someone off. cya :D
Yeah they're called Deep Cycle batteries, they dont hold any more charge but what charge they do hold they can deliver very quickly. So its a perfect solution if you want a battery that'll just start the car and be small. The use them in Marine because a lot of the boat engines are huge and need a crapload of current in one quick hit but people dont want big huge batteries. They can also go completely flat and completely recharged very quick without damage (well like 500 times or something).
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

DEEP CYCLE

A deep cycle battery is constructed in such a way that repeated discharging and recharging has much less of an adverse effect on the battery's life or performance, compared to that of a starting battery.

This is achieved by making the active material denser in order to withstand deep cycling. Specially designed glass mat separators inhibit the shedding of active material and protect the active material from being damaged due to vibration. deep cycle batteries are designed to deliver constant power requirements over prolonged periods of time - then being recharged without loss of capacity or damage to the plates' active material.

Stowaway deep cycle batteries, used to power trolling motors and all boat accessories, are built with extra thick plates to accept repeated charge/discharge cycles without warping. A unique polyethylene twin separator system keeps the active material and plates from touching, ensuring longer battery life. Glass mat separators hold electrolyte against the plates, protecting active material from vibration damage. Best-in-class "Cycle Span"™ oxide provides superior discharge/recharge to extend the life cycle. Stainless steel terminals (twin terminals in some models) allow traditional attachments and improved contact from increased surface area. Used and maintained correctly, the Stowaway Deep Cycle lasts 2-4 times longer than an ordinary car battery.

MARINE
Don't make the mistake of using a car battery in your boat -- it simply isn't built to withstand the vibrations and shocks of boating in New Zealand's seas and lakes. Enjoy your boating in safety with a reliable, purpose-built marine battery from Exide.

Exide brings you three famous names in marine batteries, and each one's a winner. There's the reliable Exide Stowaway range, especially designed for kiwi conditions, and the Trojan and Exide Orbital brands, world-renowned for their ruggedness and technological excellence.

Another common mistake is believing any marine battery can perform all jobs. Most simply can't. We offer a choice of starting batteries and deep cycle batteries. Starting batteries provide the high cranking output you need to start your boat first time every time. Deep Cycle batteries provide relatively low power over long periods to drive electric trolling motors and keep your accessories humming hour after hour. They can be run down and recharged (cycled) repeatedly

With an Exide battery you're a winner, because they're all designed to withstand the worst and go the distance.

http://www.exide.com.au/products/
1985 JB Starion #157
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

This seems odd to me, because from my experience a car battery in a Starion/Cordia with nice stiff suspension would have to endure at least the same amount of vibrations that a boat which only really vibrates when it uses its engine to get in and out of its berth or when the sea is quite choppy, otherwise it's just smooth up and downs with the waves. I'm sure they have a good reason for it though.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

A car has rubber tyres, shock absorbers, springs, bushes, etc.. and a car motor spends most of its life ar idle, cruise with occasional bust of high rpm.

A POWER boat on the other hand are rigid, aluminium or fiberglass with no shock absorbsion. They tend to be used flat out (high RPM) except in no wake zones.
1985 JB Starion #157
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

And just for the record, the Exide Orbital Marine battery is a direct rip-off of the Optima Batteries and a dodgy Knock-off at that with only 80% of the CCA rating of the Optima :x