the new guy

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
Draff
Newcomer

the new guy

Post by Draff »

hey guys,

im new to the site so i thought i would just say a quick hey. i dont drive a starion as of yet but i do own 2 GJ misu scorpions
im trying to chase down some info on starions just in genral as im looking in to buying one some time soon but need a bit more in the way of knolige so i dont get shafted.

im just wondering
-is there any real problems with certion models of the starion i should be looking for when buying. (eg turbo,cooling,shocks).
-what model if you could pick one would you say would be the go.
-what extras did they come out with.
-parts that are interchangeable if need be (eg: can you take parts from a corida in some cases?)

cheers thanks for your time guys, im just going to have a bit of a flot around the site :D
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Re: the new guy

Post by Cookiemonster »

Welcome!

I'll have a shot at answering some of your dilemma's
Draff wrote:-is there any real problems with certion models of the starion i should be looking for when buying. (eg turbo,cooling,shocks).
JA's came with an oil cooled non-intercooled turbo engine - 125kw
JB's came with a water cooled non-intercooled turbo engine - 125kw
JD's came with a water cooled intercooled engine - 110kw.

Even with an intercooler JD's had less power due to their switch to unleaded fuel and a catalytic converter.

JA's had a high rate of exhaust manifold failure. Although I think this problem will now present itself on most Starions now as they are so old. JA turbochargers tended to where out quicker too especially if they weren't run down properly.

Everything else on the car are pretty much the same. Small difference like bumpers, spoiler, power window switches interiors are the main difference.

Similar problems affect all models.. especially due to their age. Worn shocks, worn turbo's, rust in front quards behind mud-flaps. Rust in lower door sills. Rust under rear spoiler. ETC ETC
-what model if you could pick one would you say would be the go.
I would go for a JB. They had the water-cooled turboe and do not need to be run with a catalytic converter. You can still run them safely on unleaded fuel though. The JB has a nice front bumper with driving lights. Nicer than the JA. In fact 'Fuel', in the for sale section, has a very nice example of a JB starion for sale now.
-what extras did they come out with.
All Aussie delivered Starions came standard with power steering, windows, air-con. The JD added power mirrors. The JB and JD had an LSD as an option. LSD's are very hard to come by and are a prized possession.
-parts that are interchangeable if need be (eg: can you take parts from a corida in some cases?
There are many interchangeable parts and many that are Starion specific. Too many to list here.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Welcome to the forum.

In answer to what you asked - what Cookie said pretty much summed it up.

Just be sensible as in buying any car.

Go for a good well looked after car, cheaper ones will cause you grief unless you spend big dollars replacing/repairing which will not all be recoverable in a resale. There are some exceptions like anything however.

$5-8K will get you an excellent example. $3-4K average to good and less than that will require a fair bit of work.

Like Cookie said Fuel's is a top unit and will be well maintained and sensibly modified for some extra go. It would be the pick of the bunch for sale at the moment

If it were me I'd be trying to get my hands on a well preserved JB - seem to be the pick of them in my book.

Feel free to ask away ont he forum before jumping in.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Good to see you made it across. Cookie and Wantsom are right on the money. Purchase a good example first - don't be tempted to buy a fix-er-upper

Cookiemonster wrote:The JD added power mirrors.
Just to be pedantic - JB's got them too.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

buy...... starion......... good.
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

You have to balance between a fix-er-upper and one with no further work needed.....for example, if the time spent on the car is going to cut into time to relax on saturdays/sundays especially if you have kids, or cut into the no of hours you choose to work, then you probably best to go for one with most of the hard yakka done to it already. Even if not, I can't see anyone building up a JB to 'Fuels' one for the price he is selling his at :wtf:

/If you haven't noticed yet, BUY FUELS' JB STARION :D

But honestly if you find one just as nice without the mods and within budget, then go for it :P .........then again as Starion fanatics we should be encouraging the restoration of the dying and deprived Starion's no matter what condition they are in :oops:
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

I've been in fuels starion, and it hammers (and that was before the cooler was put on and the car re-tunned), everything in it is basically in mint condition, and it's a JB (of which there's only around 200 or so in the country). It has mpi and a wolf 3d, which works way better than the standard tbi.

As for parts, ,what you can't get here you can generally get from the states at a good price. Lots of people on the forums have parts cars anyway, so most bits are attainable.
Draff
Newcomer

Post by Draff »

MrBishi wrote:Good to see you made it across. Cookie and Wantsom are right on the money. Purchase a good example first - don't be tempted to buy a fix-er-upper

hey there bishi whats crackin!

yeah i just had a quick look at fuels starion he has listed in the forms she seems pretty nice what what i can tel from the photos (its always hard to tell with out haveing a proper look your self :wink: )

thanks for all your imput guys its really apresiated, ill have a bit more of a flot around to see what i can dig up.
i dont mind finding one that needs a bit of work done to it as long as its not in the over the top section and its going to cost me a arm and a leg just to keep it on the road. i would prefure one thats pretty much not going to course me to much greif as at the moment i already have my scorp as a project. i guess with fuels one that atleast its not like going to be opening a can of worms as with most second hand cars.
Just because you put a cat in the oven, doesn’t make it a biscuit
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

Don't do it!
Don't buy a Starion.
Very bad! :shock:
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

..GO ON BUY A STARION :twisted:
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

Don't buy a Starion unless...

1/ You have another car to drive around in whilst you are fixing the Starion.

2/ You have money to spend on fixing/refabricating necessary parts.

3/ You have patience, and a bit of technical know how.

4/ You are prepared to deal with morons who don't know what the car is, and call it all sorts of car model names, besides what it actually is.

5/ You are prepared to love her despite how she treats you, and your bank balance!

Owning a Starion is a mixed experience at times. Stock they are pretty ordinary, but a few mods here and there, and you could end up with a monster. Just remember that the youngest examples you'll find here with Australian compliance are 18 years old, so be aware that some work WILL need to be undertaken. There will also be necessary upgrades, so do some research into the cost of everything first.
Otherwise just ask a question, and someone on here, will no doubt be able to help you out...