Can I re-route coolant lines ?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

confirmed, the top red circled hole is the egr feed.
block it up, remove the egr valve, replace with a plate.
that top right hole is water. leave the section that goes to the thermostat housing, and delete/seal-up the section that goes to the throttle body.
and there is another bit that goes to the throttle body as well.
loose it!

and dont bother connecting up the plenum heater.
thats the electrical thingy in the bottom of the plenum section (such as it is :x ) below/under the throttle plate.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Don't you mean 'the bottom left hole' as seen from the pictures' view ?

Here is what I'm guessing now, the coolant which flows into that ( ^ ) port, comes up through a little hole into the t/b area and then flows into that hose which comes off the t/b back into the thermostat, so I should be able to shortcut it all and re-direct that hose straight into the thermo housing instead of the manifold side without any problems...correct ?

That plenum heater is yet to stay, I will play around with it once I get some temp sensors hooked up to everything and anything to log and determine its usefullness :)
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

thats close, but i think the little bit near the up arrow is the hot in so you want to run that to the other inlet on the side if you want to keep the tb heater, if not you run a line from the bottom port on the thermostat to the pipe above the inlet (bottom left hole) then 'T' that off to the cold side of the heater.
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Okay scum you've lost me now :cry:

Here's a picture of what I mean, (just save, edit in paint, re-save and upload to show me what you mean scum)

Okay, now the coolant hose which goes into bottom red circle, redirect that into a T-piece which fits into the bottom of the Thermo-housing on the Lhs there.

There is a connection coming of the t/b itself which then plugs back into the Thermo-housing, this I believe is the return route/line of the coolant which enters into the port circled in red at the bottom, which I crossed out. That is what Merlin was refering to....... and also to the heater plate which sits at the bottom of the Inlet manifold, not visible in the picture.

The Blue circled thingo, is where the Rocker-cover blow-by outlet/hose plugs into, so I believe.....should this be blocked off aswell as it would have an effect on the AFR mixture into that cylinder right ?

What are the advantages of removing the EGR system btw ?
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Awesome tech-drawing skills. Sesame street welcomes you with open arms. :wink:
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

the rocker cover PCV valve goes into the port in the plenum.
you can see it in the pix, just showing between the two head flanges.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Yes that's right Merlin, so what's the 'Fat' hose which come's off the Rocker cover onto the port circled in blue for ?

Cookeemonstar Iv brokn all mi krayons drawin dat so fa :cry:
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

I thought AB (or someone) said thats the line for the wastegate etc - vac line, or brake booster or something. (The blue one that is).
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

Yes, as I said before, the blue connection is the vacuum source for the brake booster.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

hmm, I'll have a look tomorrow then.
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

scum wrote:thats close, but i think the little bit near the up arrow is the hot in so you want to run that to the other inlet on the side if you want to keep the tb heater, if not you run a line from the bottom port on the thermostat to the pipe above the inlet (bottom left hole) then 'T' that off to the cold side of the heater.
i was just kidding. :D

Warranty void if stupid.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

your too embarassed to admit you were wrong aren't ya ? :D
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

your too embarrassed to admit you believed me, aren't ya? :D

scum wrote:
that’s close, but I think the little bit near the up arrow is the hot in **I just said EGR, now I say 'hot in'?** so you want to run that to the other inlet on the side **errr, what inlet** if you want to keep the tb heater, if not you run a line from the bottom port on the thermostat **ok, well that exists, but I didn’t see it in the first photo** to the pipe above the inlet (bottom left hole) **WTF?? bottom left what now?** then 'T' that off to the cold side of the heater. **I thought that was a nice touch**

in closing, sorry I didn’t put much effort into making it sound like total BS, I will try harder next time :D

Warranty void if stupid.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

I'll admit if you admit aswell.....hows that ? :D
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

hrmmm, how much for a plane ticket to adelade?

Warranty void if stupid.