Motor problems :

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
kevin_syko
Newcomer

Motor problems :

Post by kevin_syko »

Hi, i have a 1982 Ja starion runs 11psi n shes got sum engine problems =(.

I was drivn hm n the car was driven awersom and after about 45mins i heard this knocking in the engine, (sounded like a tick tick like a clock and was quite loud). I had my foot on the gas n i started loosing power n the knocking got abit louder. So i pulled over. i opend up the bonnet and found the dip stick had come out and some oil had come out 2. i checkd the oil and ther was still abit left. i let the engine cool down then tried to start it n it idoled really ruffly. it was nly running on 3 cylinders i think. I tried to move it a lil bit n the car strugled n was guttless azzzz. the smoke from the exhausts was dark grey.

What do u guys think is wrong with it? iv been told the head gasket coda blown n the bottom end bearings n rings cod b stuffd? thanks alot :)
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

good chance its the bottom end bearings
nashstyle
I've been here before

Post by nashstyle »

Well to check the HG, see if there is coolant traces in the oil and vice versa. If its big bearings (which will die if there is no oil) you just need to remove the sump, get the crank machined (if its still ok to use, it should be ok), replace the bearings and dont forget to check oil regularly.
I liek to flutter.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

I'll put 5 bucks on rings.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Id say rings (mostly on one cylinder) + possibly some damage afterwards to other bits.

Hopefully its something small, but my first thought was 'rebuild time'.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
jono
I've been here before

Post by jono »

sounds like broken rings , blowby putting pressure in the sump pushing out dipstick and oil, not good .start stripping motor :glare:
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Seems like rings are a logical answer if your dip stick blew out with oil following it..
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

wierd how my dipstick never blew out when i needed a rebuild :S
_

Post by SpidersWeb »

decoy wrote:wierd how my dipstick never blew out when i needed a rebuild :S
Blowby takes some effort. You need to keep the car on boost at high rpm running with worn piston-rings. You also need a dipstick which is old and the rubber is going hard.

Once thats all ready to go, you got yourself a new magic trick :)

Happens to many VR4 owners and the like when they try 180KPH+ etc
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

aaaaah, so what does it mean when you have blowby at standard boost? or wont happen unless you rev high enough?
_

Post by SpidersWeb »

Im no engine builder, but the basics I gathered is that high rpm, and boost levels can contribute to the blowby problem on an engine with very worn rings.

It happens to most people (from the many stories Ive read on MMC) when they're trying to go for top speed. It happens because while the motor is pressurised and running at that rate, the worn rings are letting air go in to the crankcase. So when going for top speed the engine is on full load for a long time, so the crankcase pressure keeps going up and up and up.

This would probably vent through the breather on the rocker cover but if you have a crappy dipstick, it'll try and pop out there, and often its the oil that comes out all over the engine bay before the air/petrol mix.
galagaza
Dorifto!

Post by galagaza »

If you first get knocking and then pressure in teh crankcase Id put my $ on one or moore of the pistons.. Either cracked or melted...
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

You have a broken piston skirt.
kevin_syko
Newcomer

Post by kevin_syko »

Hey guys, thanks for the feed back. i took off the head and found the head gasket has blown n the heads has a slight hole. The rings are stuffd. the pistons hav a bit of play. I dnt really wana get forged pistons caz of the price. wod puting over sized rings work? im also looking for a new head.
Last edited by kevin_syko on Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Where's my 5 bucks?
Last edited by Cookiemonster on Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.